Tripura MLA faces probe in fake SC certificate caseAugust 29th, 2008 - 3:51 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Aug 29 (IANS) The Election Commission has ordered a probe against Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) legislator Partha Das after an opposition Congress leader accused him of submitting a fake scheduled caste certificate while contesting the last assembly elections in February, a Tripura assembly spokesman said.Partha Das, a ruling Left party legislator may lose his membership from the Tripura legislative assembly if the inquiry finds him guilty, officials said here Friday.
“An inquiry is currently on against Das,” secretary of the Tripura assembly, S.M. Lodh said.
Das, during the Feb 23 assembly elections had submitted an affidavit claiming that he belonged to the scheduled castes (SC) community.
Das won the Salgarah assembly constituency, reserved for the SC community.
The alleged ‘forgery’ came to light when the MLA’s elder brother Chandan Das, a government doctor, was found guilty and lost his job for using a fake SC certificate.
“The EC has taken the complaint into cognizance, as prima facie established that Das’s SC certificate might be false like his brother as both belonged to the same family,” Nath told journalists here Friday.
“As per the law, Das must pay Rs.500 per day from the date on which he took oath as an MLA, along with jail sentence. According to the Constitution, he has to vacate his position as a legislator,” Nath said.
“We have asked the RSP leadership to clarify their position about the allegation,” Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) spokesman Gautam Das said.
The CPI-M is the leading constituent of the ruling Left Front, which came to power in the northeastern state for the sixth straight term this year.
- Tripura legislator accused of faking caste certificate - Aug 09, 2012
- Tripura lawmaker nailed for false Scheduled Caste tag - Aug 07, 2012
- Tripura assembly sees chaos; 'Fake SC status' of ruling Left MLA - Sep 21, 2012
- Tripura government flayed over fake certificate - Mar 05, 2011
- CPI-M's easy win in Tripura bypoll - Jun 15, 2012
- Crucial assembly by-poll in Tripura Tuesday - Jun 11, 2012
- Record 95 percent turnout in Tripura by-poll - Jun 12, 2012
- Congress leaders fast in Tripura - Feb 09, 2012
- Northeast's lawmakers vote in presidential poll - Jul 19, 2012
- CPI-M Tripura legislator dead - Mar 10, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Pranab calls Tripura CM for Left support - Jun 16, 2012
- Tripura Congress holds sit-in fast to press demands (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Feb 09, 2012
- Campaign ends for third phase of Bengal polls - Apr 25, 2011
- CPI-M to launch stir for reserving jobs for Muslims - Feb 26, 2012