Tripura guerrillas abduct eight villagersJuly 20th, 2011 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, July 20 (IANS) At least eight villagers were kidnapped by tribal guerrillas in Tripura, police said here Wednesday.
“Eleven heavily armed NLFT (National Liberation Front of Tripura) militants raided the East Chawmanu village in north Tripura Tuesday night and abducted 12 tribal villagers. Later, four captives managed to escape from the militants’ clutches,” police spokesman Tushar Kanti Das told IANS.
Before the abduction, the rebels beat up other villagers in the tribal dominated village, 90 km north of Tripura capital Agartala, Das said.
Das said the NLFT guerrillas led by Atharababu Halam came from neighbouring Bangladesh and kidnapped the innocent villagers, all belonging to Chakma and Tripuri communities.
“We are not sure whether the hostages were taken to Bangladesh or not. The state government has asked the Border Security Force to seal the border to prevent the rebels from taking the captives to Bangladesh.”
Deputy Inspector General of Police T.B. Roy, along with reinforcements, has rushed to the village and launched a combing operation to locate the hostages and nab the guerrillas.
Since June 8, NLFT extremists in three separate incidents have kidnapped 22 people, all tribals.
The NLFT and the All Tripura Tiger Force, both banned by the Indian authorities, have set up their base in Bangladesh and get support from other separatist outfits in the northeast. They have been demanding secession of Tripura from India.
- Militants take abducted Tripura villagers to Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2011
- Abducted Tripura tribals flee rebels' camp in Bangladesh - Dec 02, 2011
- NLFT militants kidnap three farmers in Tripura - May 07, 2012
- Militants abduct 11 labourers in Tripura - Dec 08, 2010
- Abducted Tripura tribals taken to Bangladesh - Dec 10, 2010
- Armed guerrillas abduct four workers in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Official killed in militant ambush in Tripura - Jan 31, 2011
- Militants kidnap four workers in Tripura - Nov 27, 2010
- Tripura farmers released by banned outfit - May 30, 2012
- Tribal militants abduct six people in Tripura - Jul 01, 2011
- 10 people abducted by rebels in Tripura, Mizoram - Jun 08, 2011
- Militants kidnap three CPI-M activists in Tripura - Sep 16, 2010
- NLFT guerrillas abduct five Tripura farmers - Sep 01, 2010
- Nine Tripura terrorists flee Bangladesh, surrender - May 17, 2011
- Three militants arrested in Tripura - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, border security force, captives, clutches, deputy inspector general, extremists, guerrillas, halam, hostages, indian authorities, innocent villagers, militants, national liberation front, neighbouring, north tripura, police spokesman, reinforcements, secession, tiger force