Tripura government criticises Ambedkar cartoonMay 15th, 2012 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, May 15 (IANS) Tripura’s Left Front government Tuesday criticised the publication of Dalit icon B.R. Ambedkar’s 1949 cartoon in a current NCERT school textbook.
“As a lower caste, Ambedkar tolerated torture and humiliation his entire life,” said state’s Information and Higher Education Minister Anil Sarkar.
“The cartoon tried to show that he was an inappropriate person to compose the Indian Constitution,” Sarkar told reporters.
The cartoon, made by renowned cartoonist Shankar and reprinted in the NCERT’s (National Council of Educational Research and Training) Class 11 textbook, shows Nehru with a whip chasing a snail named Constitution, on which Ambedkar is seated with reins in hand.
Demanding action against those responsible for publishing the cartoon, Sarkar said: “A cartoon of Jawaharlal Nehru shown chasing Ambedkar made it seem as if a landlord was caning his servant or slave”.
- NCERT advisor's office ransacked over cartoon - May 12, 2012
- 'Let academicians decide on Ambedkar cartoon' - May 15, 2012
- Jayalalithaa demands withdrawal of cartoon from NCERT book (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Shankar made the Ambedkar-Nehru cartoon in 1950s - May 11, 2012
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over Ambedkar cartoon - May 11, 2012
- 'Getting upset over cartoons immature' - May 19, 2012
- Dalits angry with derogatory Ambedkar cartoon: Athawale (With Image) - Apr 03, 2012
- Government apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row (Second Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Tamil Nadu parties demand cartoon's removal from textbook (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sibal apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row rocks parliament (Third Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Sibal apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row rocks parliament (Fourth lead) - May 11, 2012
- We must have right to disagree in democracy: JD-U MP - May 13, 2012
- Ambedkar cartoon rocks parliament (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- No humour please, we are Indians! - May 17, 2012
- Controversial cartoons: From arrests to murder attempts - May 11, 2012
Tags: anil, cartoon, caste, education minister, educational research, higher education, humiliation, indian constitution, jawaharlal nehru, landlord, national council of educational research and training, ncert, reins, renowned cartoonist, school textbook, servant, shankar, snail, torture, whip