Trinidad and Tobago PM to visit ancestral Bihar villageDecember 30th, 2011 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Dec 30 (IANS) Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, whose ancestors migrated from Bihar to the Caribbean islands in the 19th century, will visit the state’s Bhelupur village in January to trace her roots, officials said Friday.
An official in Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s office said that Persad-Bissessar will visit Bhelupur in Itarhi block of Buxar district, about 125 km from here, Jan 11.
Her ancestors are said to have migrated as Girmitiya labourers to Trinidad and Tobago, then a British colony in the Caribbean islands.
According to officials, Persad-Bissessar, the first woman prime minister of Trinidad and Tobago, will also meet her relatives during her visit.
“The district authorities have been making full preparations to welcome her and provide all possible comfort,” Buxar sub divisional magistrate Nishitha Verma told IANS over phone.
Verma said a team of district officials visited Bhelupur Wednesday to take stock of the road conditions and work on a helipad for landing of her chopper.
Four years ago, Mauritius Prime Minister Navinchandra Ramgoolam had visited his ancestral village in the state’s Bhojpur district, about 60 km from here, in search of his roots.
A large number of people from Bihar migrated to Mauritius, Fiji, Trinidad, Suriname, South Africa and other places in the 19th century to serve as indentured labourers on sugarcane and rubber plantations.
- Bihar villagers upbeat ahead of Trinidad and Tobago PM's visit - Jan 07, 2012
- Gift of ancestral village soil awaits Trinidad PM - Jan 09, 2012
- Return to roots: Trinidad PM to plant saplings in village - Jan 10, 2012
- Emotions flow as Trinidad's 'daughter PM' visits Bihar village (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Emotions flow as Trinidad's 'daughter PM' visits Bihar village - Jan 11, 2012
- Trinidad PM left 'lifetime' of memories for ancestral village - Jan 12, 2012
- India looks to Trinidad for oil, signs 5 pacts - Jan 06, 2012
- Kamla Persad-Bissessar, a 'Pravasi Bharatiya' on her way to India - Jan 01, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago PM in India from Thursday - Jan 04, 2012
- India to help develop Trinidad as ICT hub - Jan 27, 2012
- Ayurveda centre opens at Indian mission in Trinidad - Jul 30, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago PM arrives in India - Jan 05, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago's Indian-origin PM survives no-trust vote - Mar 05, 2012
- Ahead of Trinidad polls, Indian-origin politician threatened - May 08, 2010
- India scientist helping to revive Trinidad and Tobago coconut industry - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: 19th century, ancestors, ancestral village, bhojpur, caribbean islands, chief minister, chopper, district authorities, district officials, first woman, helipad, kamla, labourers, magistrate, persad, prime minister of trinidad and tobago, road conditions, rubber plantations, sugarcane, trinidad and tobago