Trinidad and Tobago PM chief guest at Pravasi Bharatiya DivasOctober 27th, 2011 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
Port-of-Spain, Oct 27 (IANS) Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar will be the chief guest at India’s annual diaspora conclave early next year that will see the participation of over 1,500 delegates from across the globe.
The 10th edition of the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) will be held in Jaipur Jan 7-9, 2012.
During an address at an annual exposition, called Diwali Nagar, in this Trinidad and Tobago capital, Indian High Commissioner Malay Mishra said that it was “a great honour to host Trinidad and Tobago’s Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar, more so as she is the only woman leader in the Indian diaspora”.
The theme of PBD 2012 will be “Global Indian-Inclusive Growth”. Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is scheduled to inaugurate the event Jan 8, 2012 and Indian President Pratibha Devisingh Patil will deliver the valedictory address and confer Pravasi Bhartiya Samman awards Jan 9.
The Indian diaspora is the second largest expatriate community in the world after the Chinese.
Mishra said Trinidad and Tobago has established an international reputation in the celebration of Diwali and many other countries having Indian diaspora have emulated it.
He said that Indian culture was strong here.
Of this Caribbean island nation’s population of 1.3 million, around 44 percent are of Indian descent. Their forefathers were brought here between 1845 and 1917 to work on sugar plantations.
(Paras Ramoutar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Kamla Persad-Bissessar, a 'Pravasi Bharatiya' on her way to India - Jan 01, 2012
- India to help develop Trinidad as ICT hub - Jan 27, 2012
- 100,000 visit T&T; Diwali exposition - Oct 25, 2011
- Trinidad and Tobago, India to celebrate I-Day jointly - Aug 10, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago PM to visit India in January - Dec 18, 2011
- Over 1,500 delegates to attend Indian diaspora conclave in 2012 - Aug 26, 2011
- Video on Facebook page threatens Trinidad and Tobago PM - Aug 29, 2011
- Trinidad and Tobago celebrates Holi - Mar 12, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago observes Mahashivaratri - Feb 21, 2012
- Ayurveda centre opens at Indian mission in Trinidad - Jul 30, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago's Indian-origin PM survives no-trust vote - Mar 05, 2012
- Ahead of Trinidad polls, Indian-origin politician threatened - May 08, 2010
- Return to roots: Trinidad PM to plant saplings in village - Jan 10, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago keen to host mini Indian diaspora meet - Jan 08, 2012
- China dangles $1 bn to woo the Caribbean - Sep 14, 2011
Tags: caribbean island nation, chief guest, expatriate community, indian descent, indian diaspora, indian high commissioner, indian president, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, international reputation, manmohan singh, persad, pratibha devisingh patil, pravasi bharatiya divas, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sugar plantations, trinidad and tobago, valedictory address, woman leader