Trinamool to continue opposition to FDI in retailAugust 10th, 2012 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) Amid efforts by the Congress to build consensus within the ruling coalition on the issue of allowing foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail, a Trinamool Congress leader has reaffirmed the party’s opposition to the move.
Minister of State for Tourism Sultan Ahmed said the party was steadfast in its stand on opposing foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail.
“No compromise (on our stand),” Ahmed told IANS.
He said the party was also against privatisation of pension fund.
Ahmed, however, said the party could take a different stance on moves to liberalise FDI norms in the aviation sector.
“Aviation is a different issue,” he said.
Sources said Congress leadership had sought support of coalition partners to allow FDI in multi-brand retail trade at the first meeting of the United Progressive Alliance coordination committee Wednesday.
The Trinamool Congress was not present at the meeting. Party leader Mamata Banerjee has opposed government moves to bring FDI in retail.
- Ally Trinamool joins BJP, Left in opposing FDI in retail - Nov 24, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee opposes FDI in retail, insurance and aviation - Aug 23, 2012
- No reversing decision on FDI in multi-brand retail: Sharma - Jul 27, 2012
- Gogoi urges PM to implement FDI in retail sector - Jun 07, 2012
- We are not against FDI in retail: Akhilesh Yadav - Jul 24, 2012
- FDI will revolutionise retail sector: Government - Nov 27, 2011
- India allows FDI in multi-brand retail - Sep 14, 2012
- FDI will help create 1 crore new jobs in retail: Government - Sep 21, 2012
- States have prerogative not to allow FDI in multi-brand retail: Government - Sep 18, 2012
- Amit Mitra shifts stand on FDI in retail - Nov 28, 2011
- Don't roll back reforms under pressure: India Inc (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Nitish Kumar opposes FDI in retail - Jul 31, 2012
- Trinamool's pull-out vindicates our strike call: Left - Sep 19, 2012
- Sharma seeks Punjab, Haryana's support for FDI in retail - Jul 18, 2012
- Gogoi bats for FDI in multi-brand retail sector - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: aviation sector, banerjee, coalition partners, compromise, congress leader, congress leadership, consensus, coordination committee, first meeting, foreign direct investment, minister of state, New Delhi, norms, party leader, pension fund, privatisation, progressive alliance, retail trade, sultan ahmed, trinamool congress