Trinamool leader killed in southern Bengal districtMarch 31st, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 31 (IANS) A local Trinamool leader was shot dead by unidentified assailants in Canning town in South 24 Parganas district, some 50 km from here, police said Saturday.
“Manik Paik was shot dead late Friday night at his residence in Canning by a group of people. We are investigating the matter. No arrests have been made in the case so far,” Superintendent of Police, L.N. Meena said.
Paik, a panchayat head was shot in his sleep. While the local Trinamool Congress leaders pointed fingers at the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) for the killing, the Marxists said it was the result of infighting in the Trinamool.
“We all know who are behind the killing. The CPI-M people have been targeting Paik for long and this time, they have been successful in eliminating him,” Shaukat Molla, a local Trinamool leader said.
CPI-M leader Sujan Chakrabarty dismissed the allegation and said it was the result of infighting between two groups of the Trinamool Congress.
“That he (Paik) might get killed due to infighting in the Trinamool Congress was a known fact among the locals here. In fact, the electronic media has been widely reporting about the possibility,” Chakrabarty told a Bengali news channel.
Paik’s son Mridul has filed an FIR against seven people for the killing of his father.
- CPI-M leader killed in Bengal - Aug 25, 2012
- Free Bengal from CPI-M, Chidambaram urges voters - Apr 25, 2011
- Police made a mistake by firing: Mamata - Dec 02, 2011
- CPI-M leaders' killing: CID custody for four arrested - Mar 05, 2012
- CPI-M ex-MP says supporters, driver attacked in Bengal - Jun 08, 2012
- Trinamool supporter killed in clash with CPI-M workers - Oct 20, 2010
- CPI-M, Trinamool workers killed in Bengal - Apr 01, 2011
- Four killed in West Bengal political clashes - Dec 21, 2009
- Trinamool old guard defends turf against new entrants - Jan 01, 2012
- Court orders CID probe in CPI-M leaders' killing - Mar 02, 2012
- Two Bengal CPI-M leaders killed, Mamata terms it infighting (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Two killed as CPI-M, Trinamool clash in Bengal - Sep 04, 2011
- CPI-M colluding with BJP to split opposition votes: Mamata - Apr 22, 2011
- Clashes after Trinamool leader shot dead by CPI-M workers - Sep 07, 2010
- Two Trinamool supporters killed in West Bengal - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: bengali news channel, canning town, chakrabarty, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress leaders, CPI, electronic media, infighting, known fact, kolkata, m people, manik, marxists, meena, mridul, paik, sujan, trinamool congress, unidentified assailants