Tributes paid to slain Hindu leader in Orissa (Lead)September 6th, 2008 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 6 (IANS) Hundreds of Hindu saints congregated in the Orissa capital Saturday to pay tributes to their leader whose Aug 23 killing sparked communal violence in the state.The gathering took place even as an order prohibiting the assembly of four or more people was issued here to prevent Hindu groups from carrying out processions to mourn Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati’s death.
However anticipating trouble, the authorities relaxed the prohibitory order even after at least 50 Hindus were detained at different places, official sources said.
“We detained some people initially but later allowed them (to carry out the procession),” deputy commissioner of police Himanshu Lal told IANS.
“There was no trouble and the meeting passed off peacefully,” he said.
Saraswati, a central advisory committee member of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP), and four of his associates were shot dead by unknown gunmen at his Jalespata Ashram, some 340 km from here in Kandhamal district.
The police suspect Maoist rebels killed them but some Hindu groups blamed Christians for the murders and went on the rampage. Christian groups have repeatedly denied the charge.
Since the evening of Aug 23, the state has witnessed communal violence in which 16 people have died and thousands have been rendered homeless. It forced the government to deploy police and paramilitary forces in 12 of the 30 districts of Orissa.
Earlier, Hindu groups had announced to carry out processions in Bhubaneswar Saturday to mourn the Aug 23 killings.
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Christmas celebrations pass off peacefully in Orissa - Dec 25, 2010
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- Explosives found, blast averted in Kandhamal - Oct 19, 2011
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- Eight get jail terms for Kandhamal violence - Nov 26, 2010
- Kandhamal people fear Maoist attack - Nov 29, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010