Tribals stage protest against Tata Steel project in OrissaJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 2 (IANS) Thousands of tribals Friday staged a demonstration against a proposed Tata Steel plant in Orissa’s Jajpur district, while about 200 people supporting the project took out a counter-rally.Armed with bows and arrows, tribal protestors including hundreds of women raised anti-project slogans and took out a massive rally at the Kalinga Nagar industrial complex, some 100 km from here.
They were joined by activists from the neighbouring states of West Bengal, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh. It is estimated that more than 3,000 people participated in the rally, organised to pay homage to tribals killed in police firing two years ago.
Tribals had clashed with the police in January 2006 to protest against the construction of a boundary wall by Tata Steel.
In a related development, about 200 people supporting the establishment of the steel plant also organised a rally in the same area, the police said. “Both the rallies were peaceful,” Jajpur district police chief D.S. Kuttey told IANS.
Tata Steel has planned to set up a six-million-tonne steel project in the region on an investment of Rs.15,400 crore (Rs.154 billion) by 2010. But due to local opposition, the project has been delayed by about 18 months, company officials said.
“The company is taking care of local people and displaced. Although the progress is slow work is going on,” a Tata official said.
- Search on for missing Tata Steel engineer - Sep 25, 2010
- Four injured in clashes with police in Orissa - Mar 30, 2010
- Five Maoists, including a boy, surrender in Orissa - Jan 15, 2011
- Tribals hold rally to mark killings - Jan 02, 2010
- Road work begins in Orissa industrial hub opposed by tribals - Mar 29, 2010
- Villagers ask for body of a victim killed in Kalinganagar police clash - May 14, 2010
- Tata Steel's Kalinganagar plant gets first consignment - Feb 22, 2010
- Larsen and Toubro bags Rs.1,610 orders in Q1 - Jun 24, 2011
- Three Maoists surrender in Orissa - Apr 23, 2011
- Tribals clash with police in Orissa's Kalinga Nagar - Jan 19, 2010
- Tata Steel to start work at Orissa project by December - Sep 22, 2009
- Land mine planted by Maoists detected in Orissa - Jan 04, 2011
- Tata Steel to pay Rs.27 crore to villagers - Mar 21, 2012
- Investors not doing enough in site areas: Orissa minister - Sep 23, 2009
- Thousands protest displacement in Orissa - May 05, 2010