Tribals clash with police in West BengalDecember 3rd, 2008 - 11:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 3 (IANS) A group of tribals clashed with policemen in West Bengal’s West Midnapore district, protesting alleged police excesses after the Nov 2 landmine blast in Salboni targetted at Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee’s convoy.The clash took place when hundreds of tribal villagers, led by Police Santras Birodhhi Committee (anti-police atrocity committee) members, came to Kalaboni in West Midnapore to dig up roads. The police force that had arrived there tried to prevent them from cutting off road connectivity.
“It’s true that a section of tribals demonstrated at Kalaboni and surrounded some of our policemen there. A police team led by district sub-divisional police officer is there to tackle the situation,” state Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) Raj Kanojia told IANS.
“Our officers are now trying to resolve the protest and are dealing with the issue,” he said.
Four protesters were reportedly arrested following the clash. Soon after, thousands of tribals who came from adjoining villages also staged a demonstration, protesting the arrest of four of their representatives. They laid siege to the area, demanding the immediate release of the four.
Trouble began in the tribal-dominated areas of West Midnapore district last month after the police arrested some school students and allegedly heckled tribal women following the landmine blast Nov 2 targeted at the chief minister’s convoy.
Tribals dug up roads and placed large tree trunks across, virtually cutting off the trouble-prone zone from the rest of the district.
They also demanded a public apology from the district police for the alleged excesses committed against them during the course of investigations into the landmine blast.
- West Bengal tribal women allege police excesses, demand action - Dec 04, 2008
- Irate tribals set CPI-M office ablaze in West Bengal - Dec 02, 2008
- West Bengal residents keep out police, CPI-M - Apr 04, 2009
- Police-resident clash building up in West Bengal (Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- West Bengal begins damage control in tribal villages - Dec 10, 2008
- Tribals protest Maoist activities in West Bengal - Dec 09, 2008
- Government threatens action against West Bengal's tribal agitators - Apr 08, 2009
- 'Police operation in West Bengal's Lalgarh a must before polls' - Apr 06, 2009
- Police for action in Lalgarh, poll panel suggests dialogue (Lead) - Apr 06, 2009
- West Bengal Gorkha outfit, tribals vow to fight unitedly - Feb 18, 2009
- Maoists kill four people in West Bengal - May 14, 2010
- Lalgarh's tribal agitators threaten to resist police action - Apr 05, 2009
- Suspected Maoists torch truck in Bengal - Feb 06, 2011
- Maoist leader owns up plan to kill Buddhadeb (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Tribals protest harassment after Salboni landmine blast - Nov 13, 2008