Tribal seeks compensation for son’s death in police shootoutNovember 28th, 2008 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 28 (IANS) A tribal man has sought compensation from the Orissa government accusing the police of killing his son in a fake shootout last week, a lawyer said Friday.Junesh Bada Raita was shot dead on the night of Nov 22 by policemen at Kutuniganda village in the southern district of Gajapati, some 150 km from here.
The police said the 28-year old man was killed during anti naxal operation but Biswapriya Kanungo, a human right activist and lawyer, claimed the police shot dead the innocent youth without any provocation.
Junesh was returning to the village along with a cousin when police started firing on them. He died on the spot while his cousin Kornell Bada Raita sustained bullet injuries, Kanungo told IANS.
Junesh’s father, Isak Bada Raita, filed a petition in the Orissa Human Right Commission Thursday demanding adequate compensation and action against the policemen who killed his son, Kanungo added.
Soon after the killing, Isak, a poor farmer, filed petitions with the government but no body listened to his plea. He produced proofs that his son was innocent and was never involved in any Maoist activities, he said.
Isak has asked the commission to take action against the policemen. He also wanted the commission to direct the state government to pay a compensation of Rs.1 million to Junesh’s family and Rs.500,000 to the family of Kornell who was hurt, he said.
A group of 22 people from Junesh’s village have also submitted a petition before OHRC with a similar demand, he said.
- Orissa tapped 417 phones from 2006 to 2008 - Jul 30, 2010
- Abduction crisis deepens, interlocutor refuses to mediate - Mar 20, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Maoists extend deadline, offer other mediators (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Italian hostages: India positive amid deadlock (Roundup) - Mar 21, 2012
- Abduction crisis: Maoists name interlocutors, extends deadline (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- Maoists offer swap, no interlocutor for talks (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Odisha abduction: Talks delayed again - Mar 21, 2012
- Greater Noida farmers vow to reject land takeover package - Sep 03, 2011
- NCW says women molested in Bhatta-Parsaul, seeks CBI probe - May 21, 2011
- Judicial probe ordered into Orissa police firing - Aug 24, 2010
- NHRC team may visit Greater Noida village - May 11, 2011
- Situation calm in Kudankulam - Sep 11, 2012
- Meghalaya orders probe into rebel's killing in 'staged' gunfight - Jan 29, 2011
- Mother of Greater Noida farmer leader threatens protest - May 28, 2011
- NCW wants CBI probe into assaults on Bhatta-Parsaul women (Second Lead) - May 21, 2011