Tribal militants abduct six people in TripuraJuly 1st, 2011 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, July 1 (IANS) At least six people, including a government employee, were kidnapped by tribal guerrillas in Tripura, police said here Friday.
Five heavily armed NLFT (National Liberation Front of Tripura) militants raided the house of government employee Kulendra Reang, 55, at Natunbazar, 90 km south of here, and abducted him and five others at gun point Thursday night, a police spokesman said.
Reang is an employee of the Tripura education department and a surrendered extremist of All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTF), another banned separatist outfit.
The police official said the captives were having dinner in Reang’s house when the abduction took place.
Senior police officials, along with reinforcements, have rushed to the spot and launched a combing operation to locate the hostages and nab the guerrillas.
The NLFT and the ATTF, both banned by Indian authorities, have set up their base in Bangladesh and get support from other separatist outfits in the northeastern region. They have been demanding independence for indigenous tribals and secession of Tripura from India.
- Tripura guerrillas abduct eight villagers - Jul 20, 2011
- Militants take abducted Tripura villagers to Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2011
- Three Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Jul 04, 2012
- Armed guerrillas abduct four workers in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Militants kidnap four workers in Tripura - Nov 27, 2010
- NLFT militants kidnap three farmers in Tripura - May 07, 2012
- Ten Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Nov 03, 2011
- Linkages between northeast terrorists continue: Government - Oct 20, 2011
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Tripura Congress, CPI-M trade charges of wooing militants - Jun 27, 2012
- Abducted Tripura tribals flee rebels' camp in Bangladesh - Dec 02, 2011
- Tripura farmers released by banned outfit - May 30, 2012
- Militants abduct 11 labourers in Tripura - Dec 08, 2010
- Nine Tripura terrorists flee Bangladesh, surrender - May 17, 2011
- Militants kidnap three CPI-M activists in Tripura - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: abducted, agartala, attf, captives, education department, friday five, government employee, guerrillas, gun point, indian authorities, national liberation front, northeastern region, police official, police officials, police spokesman, reinforcements, secession, tiger force, tribal militants, tribals