Tribal dancers to debut at Ahmedabad’s 131st Jagannath chariot processionJune 30th, 2008 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, June 30 (IANS) Ahmedabad’s 131-year-old Lord Jagannath chariot procession will have a new feature this year: tribal dancers will join music bands, gymnasts’ teams and beautifully caparisoned elephants when the three chariots crissccross the city July 4. “The tribal dancers (from Dangs district) will perform between 6 a.m. to 7.30 a.m. before the start of the rath yatra (chariot procession),” said Mahendra Jha, a trustee of the Shree Jagannathji temple here.
The 18-km procession would be flagged off Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who would be accompanied by his cabinet colleagues. Gujarat’s chief ministers have traditionally flagged off the journey.
This year the procession will include 16 elephants, 98 trucks, 30 akhadas or gyms, 18 bhajan mandlis, music bands and devotees of foot, Jha said, adding that around 2,000 sadhus from across the country too are also expected to be there.
Ahmedabad’s yatra comprising the chariots of Lord Jagannath, his brother Balabhadra and their sister Subhadra, commemorating the journey of Lord Krishna from Gokul to Mathura is the oldest in the state and possibly the second largest in the country after the one taken out in Puri in Orissa.
Tens of thousands of devotees line up alongside the roads and the yatra passes through parts of the Old City, many of them communally sensitive.
Jha said adequate security measures were taken to ensure a peaceful event.
The police last week carried out a detailed survey to decide on the number of personnel to be stationed along the route. Besides, meetings with citizens’ peace committees were being held to maintain communal harmony during the procession.
The verification of the trucks which will take part in the yatra was also being done with the help of road transport office, police said.
- Rath Yatra celebrated with fervour in Ahmedabad (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Jagannath Rath Yatra held in Ahmedabad - Jul 13, 2010
- Modi flags off Jagannath yatra in Ahmedabad - Jul 13, 2010
- Puri Rath Yatra chariots reach destination - Jun 22, 2012
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012
- Orissa town celebrates return festival of deities - Jul 11, 2011
- 62 special trains for Puri Rath Yatra - Jun 20, 2012
- Puri Ratha Yatra preparations gain momentum in Odisha - Jun 11, 2012
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Lakhs witness deities' bathing ritual in Puri - Jun 15, 2011
- Annual chariot festival begins in Kolkata - Jul 03, 2011
- Sea of pilgrims at Puri for annual chariot festival - Jul 03, 2011
- Ahmedabad set for 131st Jagannth Rath Yatra Friday - Jul 04, 2008
- Security beefed up ahead of Puri chariot festival - Jun 20, 2012