Trial of Geelani’s aide beginsApril 17th, 2012 - 10:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 17 (IANS) A special National Investigation Agency (NIA) court Tuesday began the trial of Ghulam Mohammad Bhat, a suspected aide of Kashmiri separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani, for his alleged involvement in money laundering to fund terror.
Testifying as a prosecution witness, Delhi Police Special Cell’s Inspector Kailash Singh Bisht recalled how they apprehended Bhat and others in Kashmir with the help of Jammu and Kashmir Police.
Bisht said in last week of December 2010, they received information that money was being sent from Pakistan to Jammu and Kashmir through ‘hawala’ channels, and a team, under the direction of Additional Commissioner of Police (ACP) Bhisham Singh, went to Kashmir to arrest Bhat.
The court after recording the statement of Bisht listed further recording of evidence in the case for Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Delhi High Court has posted further hearing of Bhat’s plea seeking quashing of charges against him for Wednesday.
Bhat approached the high court Monday challenging the trial court order dated March 3 when the NIA special court framed charges against him for committing offences under various provisions of anti-terror law, the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
Bhat, with Muhammad Sidiq Ganai, Ghulam Jeelani Liloo and Farooq Ahmed Dagga, was allegedly involved in the illegal transfer of funds through hawala channels and these funds were being used to fund terrorist activities.
Bhat was arrested from Kashmir in January 2011 by a joint team of Delhi and Jammu and Kashmir Police and Rs.21 lakh was allegedly recovered from him. The Delhi Police’s anti-terror unit, Special Cell, later handed over the case to NIA.
- Geelani aide moves high court for dropping of charges - Apr 16, 2012
- Four charged in Kashmir hawala racket - Feb 18, 2012
- Four to stand trial for funding Kashmir terror (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Hawala money seized in Srinagar, three arrested - Jan 23, 2011
- Geelani stopped at Delhi airport - Mar 01, 2011
- Geelani asked to meet Delhi Police in hawala case - Feb 21, 2011
- Geelani stopped from boarding flight to Srinagar (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Special cell to monitor terror funding - Aug 30, 2011
- Delhi blast: Kashmir cops seek email suspects' remand - Sep 14, 2011
- Home ministry gives nod to charges against Headley (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Four probe agencies to seek Jundal's custody Friday - Jul 19, 2012
- NIA to quiz jailed Hizbul linkman in Delhi blast - Sep 28, 2011
- Delhi blast: 2 Kashmir email suspects sent to police custody - Sep 14, 2011
- NIA charges against Headley, Pakistani terrorists soon - Dec 05, 2011
- Two days' judicial custody for Delhi blast suspect - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: ahmed, bisht, commissioner of police, dagga, delhi high court, delhi police, farooq, ghulam mohammad, illegal transfer, investigation agency, jammu and kashmir, kailash, kashmir, national investigation, prevention act, prosecution witness, rs 21, separatist leader, terrorist activities, trial court