Trial in 2006 Mumbai train blasts resumesJune 23rd, 2010 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 23 (IANS) Nearly two years after the Supreme Court had stayed the trial in the July 11, 2006 serial blasts in trains, the proceedings resumed Wednesday with two key witnesses deposing before a Special Court here.
The station managers of Bandra and Khar suburban stations of Western Railway (WR) appeared before the Special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court and described how powerful bomb explosions ripped through trains on the ill-fated day.
They also told Special Public Prosecutor Raja Thakre about the chain of events after the incident.
As many as seven powerful blasts rocked suburban trains within a matter of a few minutes on the WR network.
The blasts, which took place on the trains between Matunga Road and Bhayander stations, left over 200 dead and over 800 injured.
Probing the terror attacks, the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) had nabbed 13 accused, some of whom were linked to outlawed organizations like the Students Islamic Movement of India and the Lashkar-e-Taiba.
They were charged under various provisions of the MCOCA.
In February 2008, the Supreme Court had stayed the trial after one of the accused moved the apex court challenging the applicability of certain sections of MCOCA.
In April this year, the apex court had dismissed their plea and lifted the stay and paved the way for the resumption of the trial on a daily basis.
- Remember 7/11? Mumbai train blasts trial to re-start Monday - May 22, 2010
- 7/11 Mumbai trains blast trial to resume Monday - May 23, 2010
- Mumbai trains serial blasts probe reveals Pakistani link - May 23, 2010
- MCOCA against Abu Salem dropped (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Malegaon blast: Purohit's custodial interrogation put off - Mar 21, 2012
- Security alert in Mumbai on eve of train blasts anniversary - Jul 10, 2009
- A year on, 13/7 blasts' trial may take years to begin - Jul 13, 2012
- Fahim Ansari's wife relieved at his acquittal - Aug 30, 2012
- J. Dey murder: Special public prosecutor appointed - Jan 11, 2012
- Timeline of Godhra train carnage case - Feb 22, 2011
- Supreme Court declines to block Godhra carnage verdict (Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Apex court reserves verdict on Pragya Thakur's bail plea (Lead) - Sep 02, 2011
- Samjhauta blast accused arrested in Malegaon case - Feb 27, 2012
- Death for three confirmed in 2003 Mumbai blasts case (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- High court grants bail to two Malegaon blast accused - Aug 03, 2011
Tags: apex, apex court, applicability, ats, bomb explosions, crime act, daily basis, islamic movement, june 23, lashkar e taiba, mumbai train blasts, plea, public prosecutor, resumption, serial blasts, station managers, suburban stations, suburban trains, western railway, wr