Tremors in Kolkata, Metro services haltedApril 11th, 2012 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 11 (IANS) People came out of homes and offices and Metro services were halted Wednesday as tremors from the massive earthquake that hit Indonesia were felt in Kolkata and its outskirts.
“Yes there have been tremors of the earthquake, which has its epicentre in Sumatra,” said G.C. Debnath, director, Regional Meteorological Centre, Kolkata.
Hundreds of Kolkatans ran out of their homes and offices and gathered on the streets. The tremors were felt in various parts of the city, especially in Lake Town, Salt Lake and Park Street area.
While the India Meteorological Department (IMD) put its intensity at 8.5 on the Richter scale, the US Geological Survey classified it an 8.9 temblor, whose epicentre was at a depth of 33 km.
The earthquake had its epicentre off the west coast of northern Sumatra. There have been no reports so far of loss of life or property in India or elsewhere.
A tsunami alert was issued for 28 places, including India, Sri Lanka, Australia, Myanmar and Bangladesh.
- Tremors in Kolkata: Metro services halted, buildings develop cracks (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Major quake rattles Sumatra, tsunami alert in India (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Quake rattles Sumatra, India feels tremors (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Major earthquake rocks Sumatra, tsunami alert in India (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- NDMA rules out tsunami threat to India - Apr 11, 2012
- Tremors felt in Sri Lanka - Apr 11, 2012
- Quake jolts Indonesia, panic grips India (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Mild quake in UP, aftershocks in Delhi (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Tsunami alert following Indonesia quake - Apr 11, 2012
- Tsunami scare: Tourists ordered off Goa beaches - Apr 11, 2012
- Moderate quake hits Japan - Apr 02, 2012
- Low intensity quake in Sikkim - Oct 29, 2011
- Strong tremors in Chennai - Apr 11, 2012
- 7-magnitude quake rocks Myanmar (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Moderate quake hits northeast India, Bangladesh and Myanmar (Lead, Changing dateline) - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: bangladesh, epicentre, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, intensity, massive earthquake, meteorological centre, metro services, myanmar, northern sumatra, outskirts, property in india, richter scale, salt lake, temblor, tremors, tsunami, tsunami alert, us geological survey, west coast