Trains get back on track as Bihar quietens (Lead)October 24th, 2008 - 4:26 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Oct 24 (IANS) Thousands of passengers stranded at various railway stations in Bihar heaved a sigh of relief Friday as the violent protests against attacks by the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) in Mumbai ended and trains got back on track. The police said there were stray incidents of protest but no violence.After three days of violent protests that saw railway stations being ransacked and the movement of at least 200 trains affected, a semblance of normalcy returned.
Railways started operating most trains from Patna and Danapur railway stations as reports came in that the situation was under control.
“We have decided to run the trains as the situation is peaceful; stranded passengers should not be inconvenienced any more,” said an official of the railways.
There were token protests continuing in some parts of the state. In Patna, hundreds of slogan shouting students blocked roads and a group of students tried to forcibly shut down a market.
Protests by students were also reported from Bettiah and Gaya districts.
Additional Director General of Police Anil Sinha said: “No violence was reported Friday. Unlike Thursday and Wednesday, it is peaceful and there are no reports of protest.”
On Sunday, MNS workers attacked non-Maharashtrians, particularly those from Bihar, appearing for a railway recruitment examination in Mumbai. Youths who returned to Bihar Tuesday alleged that a candidate, Pawan Kumar, was killed by MNS activists in Mumbai.
Kumar, 25, a resident of Bara-Khurd village in Nalanda district, about 100 km from here, was one of the hundreds of students from Bihar appearing for the exam.
On Thursday, an all-party meet called by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar to discuss the volatile situation decided to send a delegation to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Home Minister Shivraj Patil.
Various student organisations have called for a Bihar shutdown Saturday.
- Trains get back on track in Bihar, stray protests continue (Second Lead) - Oct 24, 2008
- Bihar quietens, trains get back on track - Oct 24, 2008
- Shutdown hits trains and road traffic in Bihar - Sep 20, 2012
- Rail official killed in Bihar - Aug 08, 2012
- Thousands stranded at Bihar railway stations as protests continue (Lead) - Oct 23, 2008
- Students ransack 4 railway stations in Bihar, battle police (Lead) - Oct 25, 2008
- Students ransack railway stations in Bihar over MNS attacks (Second Lead) - Oct 25, 2008
- Students ransack Bihar railway station to protest MNS attacks - Oct 25, 2008
- Bihar students ransack 2 railway stations, torch vehicle - Oct 23, 2008
- Train coaches torched in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- Ten train passengers found drugged, robbed - Jan 09, 2012
- Shutdown near total in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Strike evokes a near total response in Bihar (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2010
- Anti-Thackeray protests in Bihar, trains targeted (Second Lead) - Oct 22, 2008
- Train bogeys burnt in anti-Thackeray protests in Bihar (Third Lead) - Oct 22, 2008