Training without Bhaichung feels different: ChettriJune 18th, 2011 - 12:17 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) India striker Sunil Chettri said he was missing former captain Bhaichung Bhutia during the national team’s practice session for the World Cup football qualifiers at the Ambedkar Stadium here Friday.
Bhutia along with 13 senior players was dropped from the World Cup probables by newly appointed coach Armando Colaco earlier this month.
Chettri said it would be tough to fill Bhutia’s void.
“It is different feeling to train without Bhaichung. I have never been in a national camp without Bhaichung for the past seven years. But it had to happen. I spoke to him a few days ago. I have been with players of the stature of Vijayan and Bhai (Baichung) but one day all will have to go.”
“What matters is how much contribution one has made to Indian football. I think Bhai has done a lot for Indian football. It will be tough for the youngsters in the camp to fill in the shoes of Bhai, or for that matter the senior players who are not here,” Chhetri said.
Chettri hoped that India would do well against the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
“We have a good set of players. All we need is to gel well together and work hard ahead of the UAE match,” said the former Sporting Kansas striker.
Chettri said adjusting to Armando’s style of coaching won’t be a problem for him.
“Armando has done wonders with Dempo and I am aware of his style during my stint with Dempo two years back,” Chettri added.
“We played very well in the AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers in Malaysia and it’s good that the coach has decided to retain the same set of players. The right combination helps to prepare well,” he said.
Chhetri was happy that six-seven strikers were competing for the two slots.
“I am not being modest but I don’t think that me and Jeje Lalpekhlua are certain to get the two slots. There are other very good strikers, including Sushil Singh, Joaquim Abranches, Anil Kumar. It’s really good that we have six-seven strikers in the camp and only two or three play finally,” said Chhetri.
India play first leg against UAE July 23 in Dubai while the return-leg match will be played here July 28.
“We have a mix of experienced and young players. Many of us have done well in the I-League and I am hoping that we will do well against UAE in the World Cup qualifiers. We had lost 0-5 to UAE last year before the Asian Cup but this time we are hoping to do better,” said Chhetri.
Chettri also said that he trying his luck overseas but said chances are minimum.
“I heard about reports that I was with Benfica. I am trying my luck overseas. I have time on my side as international transfer season starts in August. I am in no hurry.”
Comeback man Mehtab Hussain said he was happy to be in the national reckoning after five years.
“I have made a comeback after five years. It is a great feeling. I owe a lot to former East Bengal coach Phillip de Ridder, who always made me believe that I can make a comeback in the team. I have played well in the I-League and I have been rewarded for that,” said the East Bengal midfielder.
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- New football coach says follow Dempo style - Jun 15, 2011
- Indian football fraternity shocked at JCT's decision - Jun 20, 2011
- India looking to upset UAE in World Cup qualifiers - Jul 22, 2011
- Climax and Mahesh retired early, says Baichung - Feb 25, 2012
- Rafi is best Indian footballer, Odafe foreigner of the year - Sep 13, 2010
- Nehru Cup: India look to continue winning ways against Maldives - Aug 24, 2012
- SAFF Cup: India sans Sameer Naik in must-win match against Bhutan - Dec 04, 2011
- Chettri to lead India in AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers - Mar 21, 2011
- Dempo a draw away from winning the I-League - Apr 19, 2012
- Four new faces in India squad for Bayern Munich game - Dec 28, 2011
- India forced to play Rafi in Asian Cup opener - Jan 09, 2011
- Tough for India to make Nehru Cup hat-trick - Aug 21, 2012
- I am giving myself another 2-3 days, says Bhaichung (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- In another flip-flop, AFC re-registers Bhutia in Asian Cup team (Intro Roundup) - Jan 08, 2011
Tags: afc challenge cup, bhai, bhutia, colaco, cup qualifiers, dempo, different feeling, indian football, joaquim, practice session, probables, right combination, striker, strikers, sunil, sushil, united arab emirates, vijayan, world cup football, world cup football qualifiers