Trainer aircraft crashes, two pilots eject safely (Lead)April 29th, 2011 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS
Chennai/Bangalore, April 28 (IANS) Two test pilots of a trainer aircraft belonging to Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) ejected to safety minutes before the plane crashed near a forest in Krishnagiri district of Karnataka Thursday, police said.
According to Krishnagiri police officials, the Intermediate Jet Trainer (IJT) aircraft crashed in an area near the forest Thursday afternoon and the pilots have been rescued and flown back to Bangalore.
Police told IANS that the aircraft was totally damaged by fire and security personnel from HAL had reached the site, besides Tamil Nadu police.
In a statement issued in Bangalore, HAL said the IJT prototype aircraft was carrying out routine flight testing when it met with a mishap around 3.10 p.m.
“Both the test pilots on-board ejected safely. HAL has constituted a court of inquiry as is the case in such occurrences,” the statement said.
Company chairman Ashok Nayak said: “The crash took place near Hosur when the pilots were attempting a difficult manoeuvre. The two pilots ejected and are safe.”
The IJT has been designed and developed by HAL to replace the Kiran aircraft. The Kiran trainer aircraft were also designed and developed by HAL and have been in use since 1968.
Hosur is about 40 km from Bangalore.
- 'Indigenous jet trainer to get initial clearance by July' - Feb 10, 2011
- IAF plane crashes near Chennai, pilots safe (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- HAL's Baldev Singh was ace fighter pilot - Oct 12, 2011
- India to buy 20 more Hawk jets for aerobatics team - Sep 14, 2012
- Fighter jet crashes in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Dazzling fly-past, daring aerobatics mark Aero India launch (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- MiG-21 crashes in Punjab, pilot safe - Sep 06, 2011
- IAF Sukhoi jet crashes near Pune, pilots safe (Third Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Pilot dies as Pakistani Air Force trainer crashes (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- IAF Sukhoi jet crashes near Pune, pilots safe - Dec 13, 2011
- New simulators for training air force pilots - May 09, 2012
- IAF Mirage combat jet crashes, pilots safely bail out (Second Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- IAF Mirage-2000 crashes, pilots bail out (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Pakistani fighter jet crashes - Aug 16, 2011
- IAF Mirage jet crashes, fleet grounded temporarily (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: ashok, company chairman, crash, hindustan aeronautics ltd, hosur, ijt, intermediate jet, jet trainer, manoeuvre, mishap, nayak, occurrences, police officials, prototype aircraft, routine flight, security personnel, test pilots, thursday afternoon, trainer aircraft