Train passenger resisting robbery bid shot deadMay 14th, 2009 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 14 (IANS) Armed robbers shot dead a passenger of the Purvanchal Express between Kolkata and Uttar Pradesh’s Gorakhpur, and injured others as the train left Jamui station in Bihar, police said Thursday.
Moti Lal Yadav, who was travelling in an air-conditioned coach, was shot dead by the robbers late Wednesday night when he resisted their attempt to loot him. Yadav was identified as a railway official, posted at Sealdah in Kolkata.
According to police officials, over a dozen armed men, mostly youths, pretending to be passengers entered the two-tier air conditioned coach at Jamui station. Soon after the train left the station, they looted cash and valuables worth Rs.10 lakh (Rs.1 million) from nearly a dozen passengers in the coach at Kunder halt between Jamui and Mananpur stations.
Some passengers complained that there were no security personnel in the train.
Government railway police (GRP) officials said that a case has been lodged and investigations are on.
Train robberies in Bihar are common. In the last few months, armed robbers looted the passengers of two local trains. Two years ago, an armed gang shot a retired police officer and looted cash and valuables from the passengers of a train near Patna junction.
- Train passengers robbed in Bihar - Jul 06, 2012
- Armed men loot train passengers in Bihar - Jan 22, 2011
- Another train robbery in Bihar - Aug 21, 2010
- Armed men loot, assault train passengers in Bihar (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- Another train robbery in Bihar, six injured - Aug 09, 2010
- Another train robbery in Bihar - Aug 09, 2010
- Armed men loot, assault passengers on Pune-Patna train - Mar 11, 2011
- Train looted in Bihar - Jul 20, 2010
- Train passengers robbed, assaulted in Bihar - Aug 06, 2010
- Robbers loot train passengers in Bihar - Nov 27, 2009
- Armed men loot, assault train passengers in Bihar (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- Armed men loot passengers in Bihar - Feb 23, 2010
- Passenger shot dead during train robbery in Bihar - Dec 26, 2009
- Armed dacoits rob train in Bihar, 13 injured - Aug 06, 2010
- Armed robbers loot train passengers in Bihar - Nov 26, 2009