TRAI to disconnect individual numbers making pesky calls, messagesNovember 4th, 2011 - 9:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 4 (IANS) Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Friday said if pesky calls or messages are sent through individual numbers then notice will be served to the customers while the number will be disconnected on second violation.
“As per the regulations, if unsolicited commercial calls and SMSes are sent from individual numbers, notice will be served to the customer and his number will be disconnected on second violation,” TRAI said in a statement.
According to TRAI, 1,122 subscribers have been issued notices while 111 subscribers have been disconnected. In case of telemarketers, 17 of them have been penalized.
Registered subscribers receiving pesky messages or calls may lodge their complaint by dialling or sending SMS to 1909.
The government had introduced a regulation last month which barred unwanted commercial calls and messages from disturbing mobile subscribers by levying huge penalties on the defaulters, including fines ranging from Rs.25,000 to Rs.250,000.
To make the telemarketing firms identifiable, the regulation also ensured that their their phone numbers begin with ‘140′.
However, after silence of a couple of weeks, the pesky messages have again started nagging customers. According to reports, many of these messages are generated online.
- 28,000 phones disconnected for making pesky calls - May 06, 2012
- Government disconnects 51,000 telephone connections - Aug 17, 2012
- Pesky SMSs again - via new routes - Nov 06, 2011
- No more pesky calls, messages from Sep 27: TRAI - Sep 05, 2011
- No more pesky calls, SMSs from Tuesday - Sep 26, 2011
- Regulation preventing pesky calls comes into effect - Sep 27, 2011
- TRAI imposes 5 paise deterrant for pesky messages - Oct 25, 2011
- Over 130 mn subscribers opt for do not call registry - Sep 02, 2011
- TRAI disconnects connections of telemarketing companies for pesky calls - Aug 10, 2011
- Court sets aside 200 SMSes cap on personal communications (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Government hangs up on telemarketers - Dec 01, 2010
- No solution for web-generated pesky SMSes: Sibal - Oct 20, 2011
- Pesky calls to nag for some more time - Feb 28, 2011
- Pesky calls to nag customers for one more month - Jan 31, 2011
- Relief from unwanted bulk SMSs in six weeks: Sibal - Aug 19, 2011