Trafficking of Thai women in Goa salonsSeptember 3rd, 2012 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Sep 3 (IANS) The Goa Police is on the trail of an international trafficking gang which has been “supplying” young Thai women to work as masseurs and hair-stylists and forced to moonlight as sex workers.
Two days after a couple of salons and spas in the capital’s 18th June Road area, a shopping street bustling with tourists, were raided and around 10 Thai women were ‘rescued’, a senior police officer told IANS that the trafficking trail could lead right up to Thailand.
“What we are interested in knowing is how a parlour operating in Goa can source labour from Thailand,” the officer said.
“When we rescued these girls, they were unwilling to tell us who brought them here from Thailand. They tried to even hide their passports. So we had to use a lot of caution to get the details,” he said.
“We might even have to tie in the Thailand leg of the trafficking scam. Because they’ve told us that there are other Thai girls who were brought here to work in spas and parlours too. All the girls we have rescued have come on a tourist visa and were working here, which in itself is a crime,” the officer said.
In a sudden raid Saturday, the Panaji police arrested one Elton Furtado for running two glitzy spas and salons, rescuing 10 young women, who police claimed were trafficked here and made to moonlight as sex workers, who doubled up as stylists and masseurs.
The rescue followed a sting operation, where decoy customers sent by the police confirmed that “happy ending”, a slang for sexual gratification, was offered to the patrons at the end of a massage or body treatment.
“The decoy we sent told us that after the massage the masseuse would offer a happy ending for which around Rs.1,000 to Rs.2,000 was quoted,” a police officer said.
“They were definitely trafficked and we have to get to the bottom of that. I cannot give too many details right now,” Deputy Superintendent of Police (DySP) Umesh Gaonkar, who co-ordinated the raids, said.
- Marathi actor arrested in Goa parlour raid - Sep 07, 2012
- Five women rescued from Goa 'massage parlour' - Sep 07, 2012
- Beijing police crack down on prostitution - Jul 13, 2012
- Sex workers rescued from Goa nightclub - Dec 05, 2011
- Indonesian women trafficked to Goa spa, massage parlours - Dec 03, 2010
- Fiji's massage parlours operating as brothels - Feb 28, 2011
- Goa police hand-in-glove with organised sex mafia: Official - Feb 25, 2010
- Goa police hand-in-glove with organised sex mafia: Official (Lead) - Feb 25, 2010
- Australian woman alleges molestation in Goa - Oct 27, 2010
- Child labour at Goa's top medical facility? - Mar 30, 2012
- Goa laws to be amended to curb massage parlours: Minister - Jul 23, 2009
- 14 Goa policemen found guilty of assaulting minister - Apr 27, 2010
- Spas grow as city slickers look for rejuvenation - Aug 14, 2010
- Dubai's lewd massage parlours warned - Jan 26, 2011
- 22 Chinese women rescued from forced prostitution - Aug 14, 2011