Traffic policeman’s car mows down two childrenDecember 7th, 2008 - 12:24 am ICT by IANS
Mohali (Punjab), Dec 6 (IANS) Two children were crushed to death under a car being driven by a traffic policeman here Saturday evening, an official said.Ishu, 7, and Simran, 5, were going to the market with their mother for wedding shopping when they were hit by a car near the roundabout of Phase II here, while their mother Sawarn Kaur escaped with minor injuries, police said.
“The accused, Parminder Singh, head constable in traffic police, Mohali, was on holiday Saturday and he was driving his own car. The children were immediately taken to the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh but were declared brought dead by the doctors,” Harbeer Singh Atwal, investigating officer of the case, told IANS.
“Police have registered a case and arrested the accused. We have initiated our inquiry and will produce the accused in the court Monday,” said Atwal.
Dalbeer Singh, father of the victims, works in a private company and the family had shifted to their new home 15 days back.
A witness said: “They were crossing the road when a rashly driven car hit them from the rear. The car was running at such a high speed that the driver could not control it. The collision was so massive that that the front portion of the car was damaged badly too,” said one of the eyewitnesses.
- Punjab BJP leader injured in road accident - Dec 26, 2010
- Rash driving kills three in Chandigarh - Feb 27, 2011
- Lawyer attacked outside Chandigarh court premises - Feb 15, 2011
- Chandigarh hit and run: 19-year-old girl arrested (Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- Cops suspended for creating ruckus in hospital - Jun 19, 2011
- Police deny woman died due to security rehearsal - Feb 05, 2011
- Speeding Mercedes kills a constable, injures another - Apr 10, 2012
- Two killed in road accidents - Nov 20, 2011
- Car race ends in fatal accident, two killed - Aug 18, 2010
- Senior Haryana official found unconscious, hospitalized - Apr 14, 2012
- Olympics: Indian rowers out of medal contention (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Rash driving again: Two killed in Delhi, one held (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Hooda's ministers not new to crime controversies (News Analysis) - Aug 06, 2012
- Youth goes on shooting spree, injures two - May 09, 2011
- Hooda discharged from hospital - May 17, 2012