Trader fakes robbery to claim Rs.3.5 mn insuranceJune 19th, 2008 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 19 (IANS) The Chhattisgarh police claimed Thursday that a jeweller from Punjab’s Amritsar town filed a false case alleging robbery of 3.5 kg of gold worth Rs.3.5 million to make up his recent loss in gambling. “Jewellery trader Neeraj Khanna, who arrived here Monday to supply gold to some jewellers in the city, put chilly powder in his eyes Wednesday at busy Jai Stambh Chowk area,” Amit Kumar, Raipur district superintendent of police, told IANS.
Kumar said the trader then walked to the nearest Moudhapaara police station and filed a complaint that two men threw chilly powder at him and snatched his bag that contained 3.5 kg of gold worth Rs.3.5 million.
He said the police followed the case and grilled the trader as the investigating team doubted his robbery theory.
“He broke down before police team late Wednesday night and confessed he was not robbed at all,” Kumar added.
The trader told the police that he plotted the robbery drama as he had lost about Rs.3 million amount recently in gambling in his home state and cooked up the robbery story to make claim from the insurance company.
Kumar said the Raipur police would file a case in a local court and seek the trader’s arrest.
- Trader robbed of 3.5 kg gold in Chhattisgarh - Jun 19, 2008
- Highway heist in Ghaziabad - Aug 13, 2011
- Jeweller found murdered - Feb 09, 2012
- 23 kg gold stolen from Mumbai jewellery store - Dec 11, 2010
- 18 kg gold looted from Pune office of finance company - Apr 18, 2012
- Police nab Pune gold-heist robbers - Apr 19, 2012
- Robbers driving around in red beacon car arrested - Jan 04, 2011
- Chinese man sentenced to death for gold robbery - Jun 10, 2011
- No one cures Punjab's drug problem (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 10, 2012
- Mastermind of heist at gold loan firm held - Jul 31, 2011
- Jeweller's house looted at gunpoint - Nov 30, 2011
- Delhi man decamps with 23 kg gold in Mumbai (Lead) - Dec 11, 2010
- Rs.40 lakh robbed from jeweller's house - Apr 07, 2011
- Six held for Rs.1 crore robbery in Ghaziabad - Dec 02, 2010
- Three held for duping jeweller of Rs.1 crore - Nov 13, 2011