Toxic fume kills woman in ThaneSeptember 1st, 2012 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS
Thane (Maharashtra), Sep 1 (IANS) A 75-year-old woman suffocated to death and a man fell sick after inhaling toxic fumes that leaked out of a chemical tank near here Saturday, police said.
The incident took place around 1.15 a.m. near the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) II complex in Dombivli town of Thane, said K.V. Chougule, an investigating officer.
“Around 1.15 a.m. today (Saturday), 44-year old Jawahar suddenly felt giddy and breathless and he trudged down to a nearby hospital for treatment,” Chougule said.
“When he (Jawahar) returned this morning around 8 a.m., he found Prema Shaikh, lying dead. At least two stray dogs in the vicinity were also found dead,” Chougule told IANS.
The duo, who were rag-pickers, lived in a small hut adjacent to the chemical waste storage tank, and there were no other settlements nearby, he added.
The chemical wastes from around half-a-dozen factories in the vicinity used to be stored in the tank before being disposed off after treatment.
Early morning toxic fumes leaked from the tank. The entire area has been cordoned off, Chougule said.
Dombivli is an industrial township in north Thane district, around 50 km from Mumbai.
- Bhopal sets model for polythene waste management - Mar 22, 2011
- NGO offers monetary reward to help nab dog killers - Jun 15, 2010
- Mumbai oil depot fire under control, no casualties (Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- Huge chemical fire breaks out in Canberra - Sep 16, 2011
- Four killed in gas leak near Mumbai - Sep 21, 2011
- 2,000 evacuated due to gas leak in China - Aug 14, 2010
- Three company officials booked for Thane gas leak - Sep 21, 2011
- Chemical spill shuts down Australian station - Nov 19, 2011
- Maharashtra axes four SEZs after local opposition - Jul 31, 2012
- Navy launches survey of Mumbai harbour shipping channel - Aug 11, 2010
- Chemical pollutes dam water; notices to 50 companies - Dec 29, 2009
- Victims of Bhopal gas tragedy demand arrest of Warren Anderson - Nov 29, 2009
- Minor ragpicker shuttles between streets, school (June 12 is World Anti-Child Labour Day) - Jun 12, 2011
- Oil leak stops from sinking ship, slick danger unabated (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2010
- Massive fire in Mumbai oil depot - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: chemical tank, chemical wastes, factories, half a dozen, industrial development corporation, industrial township, jawahar, midc, nearby hospital, old woman, rag pickers, storage tank, stray dogs, thane district, toxic fumes, vicinity, waste storage