Toxic debt brought to bookFebruary 4th, 2009 - 12:01 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Feb 4 (DPA) Toxic debt has beaten bromance and textaholic to become Australia’s Word of the Year, contest organiser Macquarie Dictionary announced Wednesday.Defined as lending that “proves subsequently to be financially worthless”, the term won the title because of it’s notoriety as the root cause of the financial crisis still shaking economies around the world.
Macquarie publisher Sue Butler said that “as a lexical creation (it has) a visceral impact”.
The selection committee gave honourable mentions to bromance, which describes a non-sexual friendship between two males, and textaholic, someone who sends an inordinate number of text messages.
Also in the mix was flashpacker, a descriptor for a backpacker who stays in luxury hotels, and fanta pants, for someone who’s a natural redhead.
All terms on the shortlist will appear in the next issue of the dictionary.
- Vuvuzela, chill pill, bromance enter Oxford Dictionary of English - Aug 19, 2010
- 'Googleganger' is Macquarie Dictionary's word of the year - Feb 04, 2011
- Climate porn, fanta pants make it to Macquarie Dictionary 2008 edition - Jan 08, 2009
- Will the next decade be the tweenies, twenteens, tens, twenty-tens or teens? - Jan 01, 2010
- Indian-origin man shocked to find transvestism termed as 'abnormal desire' - Dec 21, 2010
- Group sex slang 'bunning' makes it to Macquarie Dictionary - Jun 07, 2009
- Twitter, MySpace, Facebook revamping dictionaries - Jan 09, 2010
- Tweet, media punking, staycation compete for Oz dictionary Word of 2009 - Jan 24, 2010
- New Words Added To Dictionary in 2010 Gets Tech Oriented - Dec 19, 2010
- 'Shovel-ready' crowned Macquarie Dictionary's word of the year for 2009 - Feb 03, 2010
- Vulture population rising in Cambodia - Jun 26, 2012
- "BESTIES", "boyzilian wax" among 1000 new words in 5th Macquarie Dictionary! - Oct 27, 2009
- 'Don't shake hands with Muslims' - Dec 15, 2011
- Good times for 'bromance' in Bollywood - Aug 05, 2011
- Southern actress Tamanna to endorse Fanta (With Images) - Apr 20, 2012