Tourists rescued from Himachal hillsJanuary 5th, 2012 - 12:02 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 5 (IANS) All 300 tourists stranded in the hills overlooking the tourist resort of Manali due to heavy snow have been rescued, a Himachal Pradesh official said Thursday.
“All the tourists were rescued from Gulaba and Marhi and were brought to Manali. They were struck there due to snowfall on Wednesday evening,” sub-divisional magistrate Balbir Thakur told IANS.
He said over 200 tourists, stranded between Gulaba and Marhi, were rescued by 8 p.m. Wednesday while the rest were rescued late in the night.
However, some 35 vehicles are still stranded in Gulaba, 20 km from Manali, as heavy snowfall snapped road links, he said.
The tourists were mainly from Punjab, Haryana, Delhi and West Bengal.
Manali and its nearby hills have been experiencing snowfall since Wednesday evening. The Met office here said Manali saw more than six inches of snow in the past 24 hours.
A government spokesperson here advised tourists not to venture into remote areas during winter as chances of snow were high in the next few days.
“The weather in Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu and Chamba district is quite harsh. A sudden drop in the temperature, even in summer, can trigger winter-like conditions,” he said.
- Over 200 tourists rescued in Himachal - Jan 04, 2012
- Himachal gets relief from snow, rain - Jan 17, 2012
- Avalanche threat in Himachal - Jan 16, 2012
- More snow, Shimla records season's lowest temperature - Jan 09, 2012
- Manali wrapped in white again - Jan 05, 2012
- Hills near Shimla, Manali get more snow - Jan 15, 2012
- Kolkata tourists rescued in Himachal - Jan 02, 2011
- Mercury up in Himachal, more snow in store - Jan 22, 2012
- Rain disrupts air traffic, but most of Himachal has snowfall - Dec 30, 2010
- Snow-clad mountains luring tourists to Himachal - Nov 19, 2010
- Snow in Manali hills, tourists happy on 11.11.11 - Nov 11, 2011
- Fresh snowfall drapes Shimla in white - Feb 26, 2011
- More snow in Shimla, Manali (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Manali wrapped up in white blanket - Dec 10, 2011
Tags: chamba district, few days, government spokesperson, haryana, heavy snow, heavy snowfall, himachal hills, himachal pradesh, kinnaur, kullu, magistrate, nearby hills, shimla, six inches, spiti, tourist resort, tourists, weather, wednesday evening, west bengal