Tourists kidnapped in Egypt now in Libya: ReportSeptember 25th, 2008 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Sep 25 (DPA) A group of 19 foreign tourists and Egyptians kidnapped at gun point by an unknown group in western Egypt last week have now been transferred to Libya, the Arab satellite broadcaster al-Arabiya reported Thursday.The tourists, including 11 foreigners and eight Egyptians, were abducted by some masked bandits on Sep 19 while they were on a safari near the city of Aswan in western Egypt.
A spokesman for the Sudanese foreign ministry told the channel that the group, which includes five Germans, five Italians and one Romanian tourist, had been brought across the Libyan border.
The group were previously thought to be at a location 25 km inside Sudan after having been snatched near the Gilf Kebir region in the Egyptian desert.
On Thursday, Sudanese foreign ministry official Ali Youssef said that government forces had sealed off the village where the kidnappers were thought to be hiding.
It was also reported that the bandits have asked for Germany to be responsible for paying a ransom of six million euros ($8.8 million) as the condition for releasing the hostages.
But no official response to the reports have come yet.
- Tourists kidnapped in Egypt now in Chad - Sep 29, 2008
- Reports of hostage release unconfirmed: Egypitan official (Lead) - Sep 23, 2008
- Foreign tourists kidnapped in Egypt released: Officials - Sep 23, 2008
- 12 die in Egypt building collapse - Jul 15, 2012
- Nineteen tourists kidnapped in Egypt - Sep 22, 2008
- Sudan to reopen border crossings with Libya - Feb 28, 2011
- Israel to deport South Sudanese - Mar 19, 2012
- Unrest swells in Egypt as cornered government bans Al-Jazeera (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2011
- American tourists kidnapped in Egypt - Jul 14, 2012
- Mubarak, family to reveal overseas bank accounts - Apr 10, 2011
- 29 Chinese held hostage after camp attacked in Sudan - Jan 29, 2012
- Egypt unrest: Mubarak fires cabinet as Obama intervenes (Roundup) - Jan 29, 2011
- Sudan calls on US to stop 'carrot and stick policy' - Jun 16, 2011
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- Four killed in Baghdad suicide blast - Jul 26, 2010