Tornadoes sweep through south US, 17 deadApril 16th, 2011 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
New York, April 16 (IANS) Tornadoes triggered by fast-moving storms swept across south US Saturday, toppling trees, snapping power lines and bringing the toll to 17, CNN reported.
Emergency teams in Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama were working to assess the damage as the storm moved towards North and South Carolina and southern Virginia, the National Weather Service said.
Alabama Governor Robert Bentley has declared a state of emergency after reports of tornado touchdowns in at least six counties.
Injuries were reported in Sumter and Marengo counties, with at least one fatality in the latter, he said.
Three people were killed in Autauga county after fallen trees crashed into mobile homes in the area, police said.
Three deaths in Washington county were reported, said Yasamie August, spokeswoman for the Alabama Emergency Management Agency.
Two other deaths were reported in Oklahoma and seven in Arkansas.
In Greene county, one death and six injuries were reported, officials said.
The city of Clinton, Mississippi, suffered “extensive damage” when a tornado touched down, according to Mississippi’s Emergency Management Agency.
The city mayor said no one was injured in the storm, which tore the roof from a hotel and caused damage to a bank and many homes.
- Heavy storm moving toward US East Coast leaves 17 dead - Apr 17, 2011
- Storms leave nearly 300 as dead in southern US (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Nine killed as tornadoes, storms hit US - Apr 16, 2011
- Tornados hit US' South & Midwest - Jan 23, 2012
- Obama visits area devastated by deadly tornados - Apr 30, 2011
- Storms kill at least 47 across US - Apr 18, 2011
- About 250 feared dead in southern US storms - Apr 29, 2011
- Tornadoes and severe storms in southern U.S. leave around 200 dead - Apr 28, 2011
- 28 die as tornadoes rip US (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- 32 killed as tornadoes rip US (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Deadliest tornado in US history claims 44 lives - Apr 18, 2011
- 13 die as fresh tornadoes hit three US states - May 26, 2011
- Monster tornado kills 10, causes widespread damage in Mississippi and Louisiana - Apr 25, 2010
- Large tornado causes widespread damage in western Mississippi - Apr 25, 2010
- Search for victims after deadly tornadoes in US - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: alabama emergency management agency, alabama governor, city mayor, city of clinton, clinton mississippi, cnn, emergency management agency, emergency teams, fatality, greene county, mobile homes, national weather service, robert bentley, southern virginia, spokeswoman, state of emergency, storms, tornado touchdowns, tornadoes, washington county