Tornadoes injure hundreds in USApril 29th, 2008 - 1:43 pm ICT by admin
Washington, April 29 (DPA) Destructive storms spawned tornadoes over south-eastern Virginia, damaging hundreds of buildings and leaving about 200 people injured, according to estimates by state officials. Monday evening’s tornado damage was centred around Suffolk, Virginia, about 300 km south of Washington.
All but a handful of the injuries were described as minor. There were no immediate reports of fatalities.
The storm produced hail and heavy rain, as well as destructive funnel clouds. Power lines were reported downed in much of the storm-damaged area.
Virginia Governor Tim Kaine issued a disaster declaration late Monday.
- Storms kill at least 47 across US - Apr 18, 2011
- 32 killed as tornadoes rip US (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- 10 killed in giant tornado in US (Second Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
- Four killed in US as tornadoes batter Ohio state - Jun 07, 2010
- US tornado toll reaches 38 - Mar 04, 2012
- 28 die as tornadoes rip US (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Tornadoes sweep through south US, 17 dead - Apr 16, 2011
- Seven killed in US tornado (Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
- Tornadoes and severe storms in southern U.S. leave around 200 dead - Apr 28, 2011
- US East Coast braces for Hurricane Earl - Sep 03, 2010
- Search for victims after deadly tornadoes in US - Mar 05, 2012
- Heavy storm moving toward US East Coast leaves 17 dead - Apr 17, 2011
- Virginia Schools Declare Closing For Flood - Nov 13, 2009
- Obama visits area devastated by deadly tornados - Apr 30, 2011
- Storms sweep US midwest - Apr 15, 2012