Top Pakistan Army officers meetAugust 11th, 2012 - 1:29 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 11 (IANS) Pakistan Army’s top brass met Friday night with an agenda which the Dawn described as “extraordinary”.
Top army officers met amid reports of Pakistan and the US moving towards enhanced counter-terrorism cooperation following improvement in their ties.
The corps commanders meeting began late in the evening and continued late into the night.
The Inter Services Public Relation said ahead of the meeting: “The monthly conference would discuss routine professional matters.”
Dawn, however, said that events preceding the Friday session suggested that the agenda had something extraordinary.
“It was unusual for Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and the Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (General Khalid Shameem Wynne) to have met President Asif Ali Zardari ahead of the commanders’ conference,” the daily noted.
The meeting took place following the maiden visit of ISI chief Lt-Gen Zaheerul Islam to Washington. The general is understood to have briefed the commanders.
- ISI chief to visit US - Jul 13, 2011
- Pak military indirectly rejects damning US 'war on terror' report, ISI double-game - Apr 27, 2011
- CENTCOM chief discusses US-Pak military cooperation with Wynne - Apr 08, 2011
- Reshuffle in top brass of Pakistan Army - Apr 16, 2011
- US general meets Pakistani army officials - Jul 14, 2011
- Gilani names Zaheerul Islam as new ISI chief - Mar 10, 2012
- Amid tensions, ISI chief to visit US (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- ISI chief leaves for Washington for day's visit (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Gilani meets defence chiefs; Kayani talks with Zardari (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Pakistan mulls successor to ISI chief - Feb 16, 2012
- Kayani behind General Wyne's appointment as new JCSC chairman of Pakistan? - Sep 29, 2010
- ISAF commander meets Pakistan Army chief - Jul 15, 2011
- Pakistan gets new ISI chief, air chief (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Pakistan military official meets Zardari - Oct 14, 2011
- Pakistan's top army officers discuss security situation - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: army chief, army officers, ashfaq, asif ali, chairman joint chiefs, chairman joint chiefs of staff, chiefs of staff, commanders conference, corps commanders, counter terrorism, general khalid, inter services, isi chief, joint chiefs of staff, kayani, maiden visit, pakistan army, parvez, professional matters, staff committee