Top Odisha Maoist leader heldJanuary 24th, 2012 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 24 (IANS) Police Tuesday arrested one of Odisha’s top Maoist leaders in the state’s Bargarh district, a senior state police official told IANS.
Mahru Mahato alias Girish was arrested by a team of police personnel from an undisclosed village under the Attabira police station over 350 km from state capital Bhubaneswar during a search, the official said.
Mahato was the second in command in the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist’s (CPI-Maoist) Odisha unit hierarchy. He was a member of the state organising committee of the CPI-Maoist, the official added.
Mahato was wanted in dozens of criminal cases, both in Odisha and neighbouring Jharkhand. In Odisha alone, he faces about 30 criminal cases, which include several murders, abductions, extortions, blasts, arson and loot, the official said.
“We are seeking the help of the Jharkhand government to get details of the cases registered against him in that state,” he said.
- Top Odisha Maoist leader held (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Odisha tightens security ahead of R-Day - Jan 25, 2012
- Security up as India readies for 63rd R'Day (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Three Maoists arrested with Rs.76 lakh, arms - Aug 12, 2011
- Maoist surrenders in Orissa - Sep 03, 2011
- Maoist couple killed in Odisha gun battle - Jan 27, 2012
- Hardcore Maoist surrenders in Jharkhand - Aug 14, 2010
- Police unearth Maoist arms dump in Odisha - Jul 18, 2012
- Top Maoist leader among four arrested in Jharkhand - Aug 05, 2010
- Orissa cops issue lookout notice for Maoists - with photos - Feb 22, 2010
- Orissa Maoist leader arrested with arms - Mar 05, 2011
- Two Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - Oct 14, 2011
- Two Maoists surrender in Jharkhand - May 21, 2011
- Three Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - May 17, 2011
- Five Maoists, including a boy, surrender in Orissa - Jan 15, 2011