Top GNLA rebel arrested in MeghalayaAugust 28th, 2012 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Aug 28 (IANS) Security forces Tuesday arrested a top Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebel along the India-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya, officials said.
Acting on a tip-off, Meghalaya police and Border Security Force (BSF) troopers arrested GNLA rebel Silvastin R. Marak from Berangapara market in West Garo Hills district, BSF spokesperson Ravi Gandhi said.
Gandhi said that Marak had come to the market to extort money.
A GNLA extortion note and a mobile phone were seized from him, Gandhi said.
Gandhi said Marak confessed that he is a GNLA member and was involved in kidnapping two businessmen from Dalu area and had hurled a grenade in Chokpot area under South Garo Hills district.
- Four Garo rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Aug 06, 2012
- Meghalaya launches operation to rescue abducted exporter's son - Aug 31, 2012
- Meghalaya rebels kidnap exporter's son - Aug 30, 2012
- Garo rebels attack petrol pump in Meghalaya - Apr 15, 2011
- Garo rebels demand withdrawal of central forces - Aug 04, 2011
- Assam businessman killed, another abducted in Meghalaya - Aug 08, 2012
- Elite force to tackle Meghalaya rebels - Jul 10, 2011
- Meghalaya on alert after rebel threat - Jul 17, 2011
- GNLA commander killed, camp busted in Meghalaya - Sep 14, 2012
- 'Link between Meghalaya rebel group, student activists' - Sep 04, 2011
- Garo militant nabbed in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Militant nabbed in Meghalaya - Jun 05, 2012
- Fierce gunfight after rebels attack Meghalaya police officer - Feb 28, 2012
- GNLA chief arrested near Bangladesh border in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- ULFA militant, aide held in Meghalaya - Jul 28, 2010
Tags: bangladesh, border security force, bsf, businessmen, extortion, gandhi, garo hills district, grenade, India, marak, mobile phone, money, national liberation army, ravi, security forces, shillong, spokesperson, west garo hills, west garo hills district