Top French honour for Maharashtra economistJune 24th, 2011 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 24 (IANS) Renowned economist and Planning Commission member Narendra Jadhav has been honoured with the “Commander dans l’Ordre des Palmes Academiques” (Commander of the Order of Academic Palms) award — one of the oldest French civil distinctions, a statement said Friday.
The honour will be formally conferred on Jadhav July 14, the French National Day.
A former vice chancellor of Pune University, Jadhav is also a member of the National Advisory Council, an academician and a writer.
He is the first Indian to be accorded the honour originally founded by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1808 to honour members of the University of France.
In 1955, it was established as an order and awarded to eminent acdemicians, authors, artists, scientists and professionals for their contribution in various fields like social movement, culture and education.
The Ordre des Palmes Academiques comprises three grades and commander is the highest among them, the statement said.
The honour recognises Jadhav’s fight against prevalent discriminations and inequalities in India.
In the past few years, he has been actively involved in democratic struggles against caste-based discriminations and socio-economic inequalities in India.
- British school gets award set up by Napoleon - Jan 01, 2012
- Hariprasad Chaurasia gets top French honour - Nov 03, 2010
- Shakira receives French honour, first for a Colombian - Jan 29, 2012
- France wants greater investment in Indian infrastructure - May 13, 2011
- Donald Sutherland honored in France - Jun 11, 2012
- My foreign students have Indian identities: Hariprasad Chaurasia (Interview) (With Images) - Mar 03, 2011
- France plans theme park to honour Napoleon - Jan 22, 2012
- Sarkozy honours two hotel executives for 26/11 bravery - Dec 07, 2010
- Playing flute like practising yoga: Hari Prasad Chaurasia (Interview) - Nov 11, 2010
- Napoleon letter to be auctioned in Moscow - Feb 26, 2011
- Designer Ritu Kumar honoured with prestigious French award - Dec 09, 2008
- Rare Napoleon letter sold for $400,000 - Jun 12, 2012
- Napoleon's hair auctioned in New Zealand - Jun 29, 2010
- Cannes movie marathon ends as prizes start to roll out - May 24, 2010
- Robert Redford Conferred The Knight Of The Legion Of Honor By French President - Oct 15, 2010
Tags: academician, caste, commission member, democratic struggles, discriminations, distinctions, economic inequalities, french honour, honour members, honour recognises, jadhav, july 14, movement culture, napoleon bonaparte, national advisory council, palms, planning commission, pune university, renowned economist, vice chancellor