Top Andhra cop transferred over sexual harassment allegations (Lead)January 6th, 2011 - 12:51 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Jan 5 (IANS) The Andhra Pradesh government Wednesday night transferred Vijayawada Police Commissioner P.S.R. Anjaneyulu and ordered a probe against him for allegedly sexually harassing some women.The officer has not been given any posting. The inspector general of police (Eluru range) has been given additional charge of Vijayawada police commissioner.
The transfer orders were issued after the government ordered a probe against the officer.
Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy, who was away in New Delhi, told reporters that he had directed Director General of Police Aravinda Rao to probe the allegations.
Anjaneyulu allegedly made sexual advances to some high profile women, including a doctor and a lecturer, by making repeated phone calls and sending SMSes to them.
After a Telugu television channel carried the transcripts of the SMSes, the police officer admitted to sending the SMSes, saying he was playing a game with a politician who had laid a trap for him.
The Indian Police Service (IPS) officer alleged that Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leader Vallabhaneni Vamsi was trying to implicate him out of grudge for reducing his security cover. Vamsi, however, denied the allegations.
No woman has come forward to lodge a complaint with the police but Aravinda Rao said there would be a thorough probe into the allegations. Rao said an officer of the rank of additional director general would conduct the inquiry.
State Home Minister Sabita Indra Reddy said appropriate action would be taken after receiving a report from the police chief.
- Senior Andhra cop to be probed for sexual harassment - Jan 05, 2011
- Court to hear Andhra minister's graft charges against colleagues - Sep 27, 2011
- Congress leader for legal aid to jailed former minister - Jul 08, 2012
- No police in Osmania varsity: Andhra minister - Jan 09, 2011
- Andhra opposition protests transfer of official probing liquor scandal - Apr 06, 2012
- Ignoring opposition protests, Andhra transfers police official (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Andhra textiles minister attacked, blames home minister - Dec 20, 2011
- CAT sets aside Andhra police chief's appointment - Apr 27, 2011
- Dinesh Reddy Andhra's new police chief - Jun 30, 2011
- Ahead of Srikrishna report, security tightened in Andhra - Dec 30, 2010
- High alert in Hyderabad after attack on Owaisi - Apr 30, 2011
- Accused in Andhra girl's murder held after escape (Lead) - May 22, 2010
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- Court pulls up police for Osmania University incidents - Feb 18, 2010
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh government, aravinda, chief minister, director general, grudge, high profile, home minister, indian police service, inspector general, kiran kumar, lecturer, playing a game, police chief, police commissioner, police officer, politician, sexual advances, sexual harassment allegations, television channel, telugu television