Top Al Qaeda leaders still burrowing in Pakistan: USApril 30th, 2012 - 12:11 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 30 (IANS) Al Qaeda’s top leaders, including its new chief of Ayman al-Zawahri, continue to “burrow” in Pakistan’s tribal areas, President Barack Obama’s top counterterrorism adviser said vowing to bring them to justice like Osama bin Laden.
Egyptian cleric al-Zawahri, who took over the organization, after bin Laden’s killing last year by US Navy SEALs, “as well as other al Qaeda leaders continue to burrow into areas of the FATA, the Federally Administered Tribal Areas of Pakistan,” deputy national security adviser John Brennan told CNN Sunday.
“That’s why we’re working very closely with our Pakistani partners. So we’re not going to relent until we’ve brought them to justice one way or the other,” he said.
The US, Brennan said, was continuing to work with its regional partners, Pakistanis, Afghans, and others to get al-Zawahri, who has “absolutely” become the number one US target after the killing of bin Laden.
“We demonstrated the ability to do that with bin Laden. And we are in constant consultation with our Pakistani counterterrorism partners on a regular basis about how we can do this as soon as possible,” he said.
“Absolutely. They have to go,” the official said. “It’s an organization that’s dedicated to murder and mayhem and we as well as other countries of the world are determined to make sure that that happens.”
Asked if the US had strategically defeated Al Qaeda, Brennan said: “We’re on a path to Al Qaeda’s destruction. And the president is committed that we’re not going to rest until Al Qaeda is destroyed as an organization in the Afghan/Pak area as well as in other regions of the world.”
“It’s a murderous organization that has killed many Americans as well as many other nationalities over the course of the past decade and more,” he said. “And so we’re determining to make sure that that organization is destroyed.”
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- `Osama dead but Al Qaeda still dangerous' (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Year after Osama, world still unsafe - May 01, 2012
- US seeks to destroy Al Qaeda's core in Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- US aims to destroy Al Qaeda core in Pakistan - Jun 30, 2011
- Al Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahri hiding in Pakistan: Panetta - Jul 09, 2011
- US to release Osama files - May 01, 2012
- Despite split reports, al-Zawahiri could be new Al Qaeda boss - May 07, 2011
- When 'Geronimo EKIA' meant: 'We got him' (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- US would have captured Osama alive if possible: White House - May 03, 2011
- Al Zawahiri next target, but Pakistan may not be told - May 09, 2011
- Osama thought of changing Al Qaeda's name - May 01, 2012
- Al Qaeda leader admits terror network facing pressure from drone hits in Pakistan - Jan 27, 2011
- US officials examining bin Laden's hard drive obtained during raid - May 04, 2011
- Top Al Qaeda strategist killed in Pakistan? - Jun 05, 2012
- LeT can't replace Al Qaeda, but can threaten US, says expert - May 04, 2011
Tags: afghans, al qaeda, al zawahri, arun kumar, ayman, barack obama, cnn, counterterrorism, countries of the world, egyptian cleric, fata, john brennan, murder and mayhem, national security adviser, nationalities, osama bin laden, pakistanis, regions of the world, security adviser john, tribal areas