Top 10 finishes for Vishnu, Avdumber in Polo Cup ChinaOctober 3rd, 2011 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Shanghai, Oct 3 (IANS) JK Tyre Volkswagen Polo R Cup drivers from India, Avdumber Hede and Vishnu Prasad, put up a good show this weekend in the Polo Cup China races with both delivering top-10 finishes.
Overcoming bad weather conditions and adjusting to left-hand drive, Vishnu and Avdumber finished 6th and 13th, respectively, in Race 1 Saturday.
In the second race Sunday, the positions were reversed with Avdumber finishing sixth and Vishnu 13th despite off-track excursions.
After a promising practice session on day 1 at the scenic 2.1 kms of the Shanghai Tianma Circuit, Vishnu and Avdumber qualified 7th and 8th, respectively, despite poor weather conditions.
In Race 1, Avdumber got off to a great start overtaking three competitors, but due to an unfortunate incident at the first corner, he re-joined the race at 16th position. Vishnu took full advantage of the first corner incident and jumped to sixth position.
Avdumber fought back to ninth position as the race progressed, but had to settle for 13th after he spun on the penultimate lap.
With the reverse grid rule applying for the first six places, Vishnu started from pole for race 2 and Avdumber 13th.
However, Vishnu lost track position after he was bumped off the track and his car got stuck. He rejoined the race at the last position and after a long duel with the other drivers, he managed to finish 13th while Avdumber who had started 13th on the grid, finishing sixth.
Commenting on his performance, Vishnu said: “After a satisfying qualifying result in Race 1, I finished sixth and started on pole position. Race 2 start was crucial but at C1, my car was bumped from behind and I rejoined the race at last position.
“I managed to overtake nine competitors and finished 13th. This has been a good learning experience and I sincerely thank Volkswagen India and JK Tyre for this opportunity.”
Avdumber said: “Despite wet conditions, bad tyre grip and left-hand drive, I put up a good performance here. With a 13th position in Race 1, I was determined to perform better in Race 2. I knew I had to get a good start and had to make up as many places to be in top 10.”
The two Indian drivers were in China under the ‘Driver Exchange Programme’ offered by Volkswagen Motorsport and JK Tyre Motorsports. Under this programme, Polo Cup China drivers will get an opportunity to race in Polo R Cup India in Round Five.
- Rajvirdhan, Diljith claim titles in National Racing - Nov 26, 2011
- Vishnu, Abdumber to race in China - Sep 22, 2011
- 20 drivers for Polo Cup series - May 05, 2011
- Ameya, Vishnu annex titles in JK Tyre National Racing - Nov 27, 2011
- Walavalkar clinches pole in Volkswagen Polo R Cup - Aug 25, 2012
- Aditya Patel finishes fifth in Volkswagen Scirocco R Cup - Oct 23, 2011
- Close battles likely in JK Races - Sep 16, 2011
- Full grid of Swift unlikely in National Championship - Jul 27, 2012
- Hat-trick of wins for Walavalkar - Aug 20, 2011
- Veterans rule the roost at JK Races - Aug 21, 2011
- Commanding win for Deepak in National Racing Championship - Jun 18, 2011
- Close battles in the offing at national racing - Aug 24, 2012
- Impressive wins for Balu, Kutty - Aug 26, 2012
- Double for Vishnu, Deepak at National Racing Championship - Jun 19, 2011
- Full grids for National Racing Championship - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: bad weather, china shanghai, cup drivers, hede, jk tyre, left hand drive, ninth position, polo cup, poor weather conditions, practice session, promising practice, scenic 2, sixth position, tianma, track position, tyre grip, unfortunate incident, vishnu prasad, volkswagen polo, wet conditions