Tom Cruise and Anil Kapoor have been bonding ‘big time’December 10th, 2011 - 11:11 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 10 (IANS) After his recent visit to India, Tom Cruise has become a really close friend of Anil Kapoor.
Says Kapoor: “I have a very small cameo in ‘MI4′. In fact it is the smallest role of my career. But what I’ve achieved is more than a role. I’ve made a friend. Tom and I have a lot in common.”
He admits the two are much closer now than they were during the making of “Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol”, so much so that Cruise persuaded Kapoor to accompany him to the Dubai premiere of the film. The two flew out together on Cruise’s private jet.
“And as we spoke during his visit to India and then when we flew together in his jet to Dubai, we realised we started our careers in the same way. He told me about how he got his first film, “Taps”. I told him about my beginnings,” the Bollywood actor said.
“I told him how as a child I stole from my mother’s gulag (piggybank) to see films…He said he too ran away from home to watch films but not with stolen money. He sold newspapers to make money. So I joked with him that he started earning young while I started as a thief,” he says.
“Yes, we’ve been bonding big time. I even made him say ‘jhakaas’ on the red-carpet. And he said it effortlessly,” says Kapoor.
After his Indian lap of “MI4″ promotion was over, Cruise persuaded Kapoor to go for the Dubai premiere. “I went to Dubai because he wanted me to. Tom had a blast in Mumbai.”
There is talk of the two teaming together for a Bollywood film, to which Kapoor says: “Right now, we’re just…cruising. The possibilities are immense. India has the second-largest population in the world. Indian cinema and Bollywood have a global impact.”
“And I seriously feel our stars like Shah Rukh, Aamir, Ranbir have the potential to become global names. But they are not hankering for Hollywood. Even I am not looking westwards for my success. I am happy to be an Indian actor.”
The next step in Kapoor’s global plans is to seriously do an adaptation of the series “24″ for Indian television.
“We’ve bought the rights. Every episode of the original would be done faithfully for Indian television with me playing the protagonist… And there’s plenty to be done at this stage of my career. I’ve undertaken a journey into the unknown. I can’t wait to see where I go from here,” he said.
- Tom Cruise wows Mumbai fans at special MIGP screening - Dec 05, 2011
- Shahid Kapoor to fly in F 16 for 'Mausam' - Feb 04, 2011
- Tom cruises to India on a whirlwind tour - Dec 03, 2011
- Where's Anil Kapoor in 'Mission Impossible 4' trailer, ask fans - Jul 01, 2011
- For Anil, charity more important - Nov 28, 2011
- Playboy girl Brook eyes plum Hollywood roles (Lead) - Oct 25, 2010
- Anil Kapoor Ditches Tom Cruise For Amitabh Bachchan! - Nov 25, 2010
- Playboy girl Kelly Brook eyes plum Hollywood roles - Oct 25, 2010
- On 'Mission: Impossible', Anil Kapoor lives like '24' at 51! - Dec 22, 2010
- Tom Cruise escapes serious injury - Dec 12, 2011
- Thanks to Hollywood, it's yesterday once more for Anil - Nov 10, 2011
- Cruise plans global celebration for 50th b'day - Dec 14, 2011
- Tom Cruise to host screening of MI 4 for fans - Nov 22, 2011
- World realising importance of Indian audiences: Anil Kapoor - Dec 05, 2011
- Hollywood splash in Bollywood country! (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: anil kapoor, bollywood actor, bollywood film, cameo, friend tom, global impact, global names, global plans, gulag, indian actor, indian cinema, largest population, mi4, mission impossible, private jet, ranbir, red carpet, shah rukh, tom cruise, westwards