Toll in Kolkata spurious liquor tragedy rises to 19January 5th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 5 (IANS) The number of those who died in Kolkata after consuming poisonous country-made liquor Saturday night has risen to 19, while several others were still battling for their lives Monday, police said. “Nineteen people have died so far,” city police chief Goutam Mohan Chakrabroty told IANS, adding four people have been arrested in connection with the incident.
The state government has also ordered a probe by the excise commissioner into the tragedy near Khidirpore in south-west Kolkata. The official has been asked to submit a report in three days.
Labourers at the Bibi Halt and Hooghly Basti areas of Khidirpore fell ill after a late night drinking session Saturday.
“Three persons died late Saturday night. The rest died Sunday and Monday morning. Several people developed symptoms late on Sunday night and died in the morning,” Deputy Commissioner (detective department) Jawed Shamim said.
Four people have been arrested and raids were on in several parts of the city to nab the culprits, Shamim said.
“We have also detained several people and are interrogating them,” Shamim said.
According to police sources, there are over 20 illegal country liquor shops in the area.
“We have raided the shops and collected liquor samples to detect the exact nature of poison in them. All bodies will be sent for post-mortem examination. An investigation has started and right action will be taken against the culprits,” Shamim said.
According to police sources, many slum dwellers in the area buy liquor from illegally-run shops.
Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, who visited the area Sunday evening, demanded a probe by a sitting judge of the Calcutta High Court.
Banerjee threatened to lay siege to the West Port police station Tuesday if the culprits were not brought to book.
- Kolkata hooch tragedy death toll rises to 27 - Jan 06, 2009
- Toll in Kolkata liquor tragedy rises to 23, six arrested (Lead) - Jan 05, 2009
- Thirteen die after drinking poisonous liquor in Kolkata (Lead) - Jan 04, 2009
- Thirteen die in hooch tragedy in Kolkata, Mamata for judicial probe (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2009
- Hooch kills 17 in Andhra (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 (Intro Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 - Dec 15, 2011
- WB Congress demands CBI probe in Hooch tragedy - Dec 17, 2011
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 171, official suspended (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Moonshine kills 63 in Bengal village - Dec 15, 2011
- Hooch kills 29 in Odisha, 10 held (Fourth Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- 4 injured in Karachi grenade attack - Nov 26, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 167 (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011