Toll in Chhattisgarh blast rises to sevenMay 18th, 2011 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 18 (IANS) With two more troopers succumbing to their injuries, the casualty figure in a Maoist landmine attack on a convoy of the paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in Chhattisgarh has risen to seven, police said Wednesday.
The blast had rocked one of the three vehicles of the patrolling convoy just past 9 p.m. Tuesday on a national highway in insurgency-riddled Dantewada district, some 500 km south of state capital Raipur.
“It was a powerful blast that ripped through a Tavera vehicle carrying paramilitary personnel. Five men of the CRPF’s second battalion were killed on the spot and two died a few hours later,” Dantewada police chief Ankit Garg told IANS.
A local police officer said the blast hit the last vehicle in the three-vehicle convoy when it was on its way to Sukma from Kerlapal.
The officer said the vehicle was tossed several feet up in the air by the powerful blast. The Maoists melted away into the nearby forests after hitting the convoy.
- Five troopers killed in Chhattisgarh landmine blast - May 18, 2011
- Maoist landmine blast kills five CRPF men in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Three troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast - Oct 07, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- Mine blast injures CRPF men, Maoists raid CPI leader's house (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast - Aug 07, 2012
- CRPF kill 9 Maoists in Bastar gunfight, rebels strike back (Second Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
- Five policemen killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attacks - Jun 27, 2011
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Maoists blast rail tracks in Chhattisgarh - Sep 27, 2011
- Chhattisgarh on alert as Maoists mark anniversary - Sep 21, 2011
- Police clueless on CRPF trooper's killing - Mar 23, 2012
- Maoists blow up new police station in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh police station, no casualty (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Maoists abduct Chhattisgarh collector, kill two guards (Fourth Lead, With Image) - Apr 21, 2012