Tokyo stocks close lower on economic global recessionNovember 18th, 2008 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Nov 18 (Xinhua) Tokyo stocks closed lower Tuesday with the key Nikkei index dropping 2.28 percent amid investors’ anxieties about the ongoing global economic recession. The benchmark Nikkei 225 Average shed 194.17 points to 8,328.41.
The Topix index on the Tokyo Stock Exchange lost 15.05 points, or 1.77 percent, to 835.44.
On the First Section, declining issues outnumbered advancing ones 846 to 745, with 117 others remaining unchanged.
Volume leader Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group fell 39 yen, or nearly 7 percent, to 546 yen while value leader Softbank dropped 186 yen, or over 15 percent, to 1,053 yen.
Trading volume on the main section slipped to 1,950.94 million shares from 2,026.13 million Monday.
The TSE’s Second Section index slid 6.85 points, or 0.35 percent, to 1,963.47 on a volume of 24.85 million shares.
On the Osaka Securities Exchange, the near-term December Nikkei 225 index futures contract lost 170 points to 8,320.
- Nikkei closes higher - Oct 20, 2008
- Tokyo stocks close sharply lower - Feb 12, 2009
- Tokyo stocks down on worries about domestic finances, strong yen - Nov 24, 2009
- Tokyo stocks mixed in morning trading - Nov 25, 2009
- Tokyo stocks up on bargain buys (Lead) - Nov 25, 2009
- Tokyo stocks up after Wall Street's rally - Jun 01, 2009
- Nikkei falls on financial worries - Jan 21, 2009
- Tokyo stocks rebound on Wall Street rally - Dec 03, 2008
- Hopes on US economic stimulus package boost Tokyo stocks - Jan 07, 2009
- Nikkei loses three percent on Wall Street plunge - Mar 02, 2009
- Tokyo stocks end morning lower - Jan 22, 2009
- Sensex up 225.14 points, oil and gas stocks soar - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex down 127 points, IT stocks hit (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 128 points down, BHEL, ICICI Bank shares hit (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
- Japan posts first annual trade deficit in 31 years in 2011 - Jan 25, 2012