‘TN O7 AL 4777′ a perfect remake of ‘Taxi Number 9211′ (Tamil movie review)February 21st, 2009 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “TN 07 AL 4777″; Director: Laxmikanthan; Cast: Pasupathi, Ajmal, Meenakshi; Music: Vijay Anthony; Direction: Laxmikanthan; Rating: ***
But for the oddity of yellow-topped taxis being rarities in Chennai, “TN 07 AL 4777″ is a frame-to-frame perfect remake of the Hindi offbeat thriller “Taxi Number 9211″.
The cast, majority of the performances, subtle filming, apt music and background scores - all accentuate its entertainment quotient.
The story is about a day in the lives of a rich guy caught in an extraordinary legal tussle of inheritance and a desperate cabbie handicapped by family problems.
The movie takes the audience through the pulsating tribulations of the duo and eventual reconciliation.
Pasupathi essays the role of the taxi driver, played by Nana Patekar in the original. And he matches the Bollywood veteran’s histrionics.
Though debutant Ajmal is good in the lead role, he is no patch on John Abraham whose performance in the original was much better.
The surprise package is Meenakshi who shines as the fiancee of the moneybag despite this being just her second film. As is her wont, Simran playing the cab driver’s estranged wife underplays the role to wonderful perfection.
Music by Vijay Anthony and Gurudev’s cinematography etch the pleasure derived from the movie further.
Laxmikanthan has wielded the megaphone deftly, extracting the correct mix of performances and the backdrop of Chennai’s streets.
Though Tamil Nadu movie buffs have almost forgotten the fact, the filmdom obviously remembers that 4777 is the car number of late thespian chief minister M.G. Ramachandran, who was popularly known as MGR.
- I want to be a director's actor: Ajmal - Oct 18, 2009
- Ajmal returns to Malayalam - Apr 26, 2010
- Kamal Haasan, Surya and Ileana inaugurate IBO Dance studio - Mar 24, 2010
- 'Aaranya Kaandam' - a realistic account of gangsters (Tamil Movie Review) - Jun 11, 2011
- 'Thiru Thiru...' a hilarious entertainer (Tamil Film Review) - Sep 26, 2009
- 'Bhadra', an engaging film (IANS Kannada Film Review) - Aug 14, 2011
- Listen To Chikku Bhukku Songs From Aug 13 - Aug 07, 2010
- 'Puthra' is ordinary fare (Kannada Movie Review) - Oct 16, 2011
- State Politicians Present At 'Pratikshana' Audio Release - Oct 13, 2010
- 'Swayam Krushi' suffers due to Veerendra Babu's performance (Kannada Movie Review) - Sep 04, 2011
- Dil Raju Penned ‘Mr Perfect’ For Two Years - Jan 07, 2011
- Pasupathy- Vijay's villain in 'Urimai Kural' - Aug 14, 2009
- Anna Snooker: Damani cracks 116 break - Dec 17, 2011
- 'Daruvu' ordinary fare, rides on Ravi Teja's shoulders (Telugu Movie Review) - May 27, 2012
- Big B mourns death of Anthony Gonsalves - Jan 19, 2012