Tiwari told to begin DNA test process April 4March 14th, 2011 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 14 (IANS) After the Supreme Court Monday denied relief to veteran Congress leader N.D. Tiwari in a paternity suit and asked him to undergo a DNA test, the Delhi High Court directed him to begin the test process April 4.
Tiwari, 85, was told to appear before the high court’s joint registrar who would decide the procedural formalities before the DNA test.
Justice Gita Mittal of the high court fixed April 4 for Tiwari to appear before the joint registrar.
Justice Mittal allowed a plea by petitioner Rohit Shekhar, who sought a modification of the court’s earlier order on the test.
“Hyderabad-based Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD) will conduct the DNA test on Tiwari,” said the court, changing the name of the institution where the test would be done.
Shekhar earlier asked for a modification on the ground that the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) at Hyderabad, which was earlier authorised to conduct the DNA test, was no longer conducting these tests.
A single judge bench of the high court Dec 23, 2010, asked Tiwari to undergo a DNA test on the suit filed by Shekhar, 31, who claimed to be his biological son.
Shekhar claimed he was born out of the leader’s alleged relationship with his mother Ujjwala Sharma.
Tiwari, who held the posts of chief minister of undivided Uttar Pradesh and later Uttarakhand, opposed the paternity suit.
The former Andhra Pradesh governor said he never had any physical relationship with Ujjwala, who is a Congress activist. Shekhar, he said, was not entitled to seek a DNA test as a matter of right. The Supreme Court overruled him.
- Court official seeks details ahead of DNA test on Tiwari - Apr 04, 2011
- Court rejects Tiwari's plea on fine - Feb 25, 2011
- Paternity case: ND Tiwari to provide blood sample for DNA test - May 31, 2011
- Tiwari asked to furnish blood sample on Saturday (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Paternity suit against Tiwari: Court gets DNA report - Feb 15, 2012
- Date for Tiwari's DNA test to be decided March 8 - Feb 19, 2011
- Paternity suit: Tiwari gets a day to undergo DNA test - Feb 07, 2011
- Court asks for doctor for Tiwari's DNA test - May 02, 2011
- DNA test out, N.D. Tiwari is Rohit Shekhar's father (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- I can't be forced to give DNA test sample: N.D. Tiwari (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Court to rule Friday on N.D. Tiwari paternity suit - Sep 22, 2011
- Tiwari paternity suit: Plea challenging DNA test hearing Feb 7 - Jan 27, 2011
- Court orders Tiwari to undergo paternity test - Dec 23, 2010
- Paternity suit: N.D. Tiwari to give blood sample June 1 - May 10, 2011
- N.D. Tiwari to undergo DNA test (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: alleged relationship, andhra pradesh, april 4, biological son, ccmb, cdfd, cellular and molecular biology, chief minister, congress leader, delhi high court, dna test, formalities, gita, mittal, New Delhi, paternity suit, petitioner, physical relationship, shekhar, uttar pradesh