Tipsy cop kills girl in celebratory firingJune 28th, 2012 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kanpur, June 28 (IANS) An 11-year-old girl succumbed to bullet wounds here Thursday after a tipsy Uttar Pradesh Police sub-inspector opened fire during a marriage procession, officials said.
The girl was hit on the forehead Wednesday night by the bullet fired by Vishnukant Tiwari. He had come from Varanasi to attend the ceremony.
Police said the incident happened during a marriage procession in Nazeerabad area. The girl was taken to a hospital Wednesday night. She succumbed to her injuries Thursday.
Irate relatives of the girl went berserk after the firing and vandalised the venue and damaged the vehicle of the bridegroom.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Amitabh Yash told IANS that police had launched a hunt to nab the policeman who fled from the scene.
- Constable fires at cop in UP police station - Apr 09, 2012
- Men in khaki leave UP government red-faced - Jul 14, 2012
- Kanpur cop dies after being shot inside police station (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Two held for running IPL betting racket - May 25, 2011
- One killed as SP man fires at wedding (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- UP sees violence over Myanmar-Assam events, curfew in Allahabad (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Maoists kill cop in Chhattisgarh - May 13, 2012
- One killed in UP after SP man opens fire during marriage - Mar 20, 2012
- UP policeman sent to jail for sodomy - Aug 29, 2012
- Separatists gun down cop in Srinagar (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Cop shoots colleague dead inside police station - Jul 21, 2011
- 50 injured in Bangladesh clashes - Aug 29, 2011
- IIT-Kanpur alumni heading city's administration, police - Mar 23, 2012
- Policeman, home guard fired upon, weapons looted - Oct 15, 2011
- Prime accused in Mayawati statue vandalism held (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: amitabh, bridegroom, bullet wounds, cop, deputy inspector general, forehead, marriage, marriage procession, old girl, policeman, relatives, uttar pradesh police, varanasi, venue, wednesday night, yash