Timeline of Zakia Jafri’s caseSeptember 12th, 2011 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Sep 12 (IANS) A timeline of Zakia Jafri’s case relating to the Gulberg society massacre in which her husband Ehsan Jafri, a former Congress parliamentarian, was among the 69 people killed.
- On Feb 28, 2002 Gulberg society in Ahmedabad comprising of 29 bungalows and ten apartment blocks was attacked by Hindu mobs leading to the death of 69 people.
For almost four years the case, like many others, underwent a tortuous process of investigations before the Supreme Court was forced to step in.
- June 8, 2006: Zakia Jafri, in a letter to the DGP, seeks FIR against Chief Minister Narendra Modi and 63 others for conspiracy behind 2002 riots in Gujarat.
- May 1, 2007: Jafri moves the Gujarat High Court after the DGP declines to entertain her complaint.
- Nov 2, 2007: Gujarat High Court dismisses the plea.
Subsequently Zakia moves Supreme Court.
- April 27, 2009: The Supreme Court asks the Special Investigation Team under former CBI director R.K. Raghavan to look into the complaint and report.
- March 27, 2010: SIT questions Narendra Modi in its office at Gandhinagar
- May 14, 2010: SIT submits its report to the Supreme Court. Supreme Court gives copy of the report to the then amicus curie Prashant Bhushan. BJP questions Bhushan’s impartiality.
- Oct 26, 2010: Bhushan quits and Raju Ramachandran appointed as the amicus curie. Ramachandran notices flaws in SIT report
- March 15, 2011: Supreme Court directs SIT to probe case
- April 25, 2011: SIT submits report to Supreme Court
- May 5, 2011: Supreme Court gives report to amicus curie to study and even question witnesses
- June 18, 2011: Ramachandran visits Ahmedabad
- July 25, 2011: Ramachandran gives his report to Supreme Court
- July 28, 2011: Supreme Court bench comprising justices D.K. Jain, P. Sathashivam and Aftab Alam reserve order on the matter.
- Sep 12, 2011: Supreme Court asks SIT to submit its final report to the lower court.
- Gujarat government expresses happiness over apex court order - Sep 12, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Probe Modi, says Supreme Court amicus curiae - May 07, 2012
- Amicus curiae report on Gulberg points at Modi, Congress attacks BJP (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- 'SIT report has dealt with Ramachandran's contention' - May 07, 2012
- Trial judge to decide Zakia Jafri's plea: Apex court - Sep 12, 2011
- It's official: Modi gets clean chit in Gulberg massacre - Apr 10, 2012
- Modi gets clean chit in Gulberg massacre (Roundup) - Apr 10, 2012
- Gujarat riots probe team gives report to apex court - Apr 26, 2011
- How Zakia Jafri's complaint reached apex court - Sep 12, 2011
- Narendra Modi to sit on fast - Sep 13, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Apex court gives free hand to probe team - Mar 15, 2011
- Re-investigate Modi role in 2002 riots: CPI-M - May 11, 2012
- I am upset, disappointed: Zakia Jafri - Sep 12, 2011
- No clean chit to Modi: Congress - Sep 12, 2011
- Verdict victory for Modi, claims BJP - Sep 12, 2011
Tags: aftab, ahmedabad, amicus curie, apartment blocks, cbi, chief minister, dgp, ehsan jafri, gujarat high court, impartiality, investigation team, jain, mobs, modi, parliamentarian, prashant, riots in gujarat, sit report, supreme court bench, zakia