Timeline of Binayak Sen caseApril 15th, 2011 - 2:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) The following is the timeline of the Binayak Sen case:
May 14, 2007: Binayak Sen arrested in Bilaspur on charges of carrying messages between Piyush Guha, a businessman, and Narayan Sanyal, a Maoist ideologue.
May 15: Sen remanded to judicial custody.
May 25: Chhattisgarh government claims Sen is a threat to state security. Bail is not granted.
May-June: Human rights activists rally across India in Sen’s support.
Aug 3: Police file charge sheets against Sen under the Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act in the court of Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Satyabhama Dubey.
Dec 10: Two-judge Supreme Court bench denies Sen’s bail petition.
Dec 31: Sen awarded the R.R. Keithan Gold Medal by the Indian Academy of Social Sciences in recognition of “his outstanding contribution to the advancement of science of Nature-Man-Society for improving the quality of life of the poor, the downtrodden and the oppressed people of Chhattisgarh”.
March 15-April 11, 2008: Sen kept in solitary confinement. Prison authorities claim it is for his security.
April 21: Sen awarded Jonathan Mann Award for Global Health and Human Rights by the Global Health Council.
May 30: Trial begins in Raipur.
Aug 11: Second bail petition filed in the Chhattisgarh High Court in Bilaspur.
Aug 14: First hearing on the bail. Hearing adjourned.
Dec 2: Bail petition dismissed.
Dec 3: Supplementary charge sheet filed, listing 47 additional witnesses.
May 4, 2009: Supreme Court issues notice to the Chhattisgarh government questioning Sen’s detention and demanding its response in two weeks. The court also asks for the best medical care to be provided for Sen’s heart condition.
May 25: Sen released on bail by Supreme Court vacation bench of Justice Markandey Katju and Justice Deepak Verma.
Nov 23-26: Trial resumes in Raipur sessions court.
Late August-early September, 2010: Supreme Court directs the Chhattisgarh government to complete presenting its evidence against Sen by end-September.
Sep 28: Prosecution concludes presenting evidence.
Nov 25-26: Defence presents 12 witnesses along with supporting documents.
Dec 24: Raipur sessions court finds Sen, Sanyal and Guha guilty of sedition and conspiracy and sentences all three to life imprisonment.
Jan 24, 2011: Sen’s bail application hearing begins in Chhattisgarh High Court. Ram Jethmalani opens the arguments for Sen, terming the trial court verdict “a case of no evidence”.
Jan 25: Another lawyer, Surendra Singh, argues in favour of Sen, telling the court that “documents were planted by Chhattisgarh Police to establish Sen’s link to Maoists”.
Feb 9: The high court reserves its orders after prosecution counsel Kishore Bhaduri concludes his arguments, saying “seized documents were sufficient enough for not suspending the sentence awarded to Sen by the trial court”.
Feb 10: A division bench of Justice T.P. Sharma and Justice R.L. Jhanwar rejects Sen’s bail application.
April 11: Supreme Court division bench of justices H.S. Bedi and C.K. Prasad adjourns the hearing after the Chhattisgarh government seeks more time to argue its case.
April 15: Supreme Court grants bail to Binayak Sen.
- Binayak Sen case timeline - Dec 24, 2010
- Binayak Sen case - A timeline - Feb 10, 2011
- Court rejects Binayak Sen's bail, activists shocked (Night Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Court rejects Binayak Sen's bail plea, activists shocked (Fourth Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Court rejects Binayak Sen bail plea, activists disappointed (Third Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Chhattisgarh court dismisses Binayak Sen's bail plea (Second Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Apex court notice to Chhattisgarh on Binayak associate's bail (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Binayak Sen bail hearing to continue Tuesday - Jan 24, 2011
- Next hearing on Binayak Sen's bail plea Feb 9 - Jan 25, 2011
- Chhattisgarh high court dismisses Binayak Sen's bail plea (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Feb 10, 2011
- Binayak Sen's bail plea: High court reserves order (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- High court reserves order on Binayak Sen's bail plea (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- High court order on Binayak Sen's bail plea Thursday (Third Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- Binayak cannot leave the country without permission - Apr 18, 2011
- Chhattisgarh issued notice on Binayak Sen's bail plea (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: academy of social sciences, best medical care, bilaspur, charge sheets, chhattisgarh government, deepak verma, global health council, health and human rights, human rights activists, indian academy, jonathan mann, judicial custody, judicial magistrate, prevention act, prison authorities, sessions court, solitary confinement, supreme court bench, supreme court issues, trial resumes