Timeline: Ishrat Jahan shootoutNovember 21st, 2011 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Nov 21 (IANS) Ishrat Jahan, a Mumbai-based college girl, was killed in a police shootout along with three men in Ahmedabad in 2004 by police who alleged they were LeT militants, a claim rubbished Monday by court-appointed investigators.
Following is the timeline of the case that has seen families of the deceased fighting for over seven years for justice.
June 15, 2004: Gujarat Police claimed they had killed Jahan and three others on the outskirts of Ahmedabad. They said the four were members of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba on a mission to kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
September 2009: Ahmedabad metropolitan magistrate S.P. Tamang calls the shootout fake.
August 2010: Gujarat High Court asks the Supreme Court-appointed special investigation team (SIT) to take up the case.
September 2010: The high court constitutes a new SIT after the Supreme Court’s SIT expressed its inability to undertake the probe.
November 2010: The Supreme Court rejects the Gujarat government’s plea challenging the high court order to form the new SIT.
December 2010: Three-member SIT begins investigation in the case and starts recording statements of the witnesses, police officials involved.
Nov 21, 2011: SIT tells the Court that the shootout was staged. The court ordered that a fresh complaint needs to be filed against those involved in the fake shootout under Section 302 that covers death penalty for the accused.
- Gujarat High Court gets free hand in Ishrat Jahan case (Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Court free to probe Ishrat Jahan case, rules apex court - Sep 06, 2010
- Ishrat Jahan case: Supreme Court upholds special probe (Lead) - Nov 12, 2010
- SC stays probe in Ishrat Jahan case - May 03, 2011
- Apex court asks Gujarat to shift Ishrat Jahan case to SIT - Aug 27, 2010
- Ishrat Jahan killing: Probe team gets access to judicial report - Mar 10, 2011
- Ishrat Jahan killing: Probe team submits report - Apr 05, 2011
- Team probing Ishrat Jahan killing seeks legal help - Dec 30, 2010
- Supreme Court restrains SIT in Ishrat Jahan case (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Three policemen named in Ishrat Jahan case transferred - Apr 19, 2011
- Ishrat murdered by police: SIT - Nov 21, 2011
- Ishrat Jahan case: SIT-summoned police officers fail to appear - Apr 29, 2011
- Apex court stays Ishrat killing case transfer to SIT (Lead) - Aug 27, 2010
- Ishrat case: Supreme Court rejects Gujarat Govt plea challenging SIT probe - Nov 12, 2010
- Ishrat Jahan killing: Court-ordered SIT given probe (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
Tags: chief minister, college girl, death penalty, gujarat government, gujarat high court, gujarat police, investigation team, investigators, ishrat jahan, lashkar e taiba, magistrate, narendra modi, outskirts, plea, police officials, police shootout, seven years, supreme court, tamang, three men