Time to address root causes of Sri Lankan conflict: IndiaMay 18th, 2009 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) Now that the “conventional conflict” in Sri Lanka has ended with the killing of LTTE chief Velupillai Prabhakaran, India Monday said it was time to address root causes of the strife and called for “political steps towards the effective devolution of power” to all communities.
“In a telephone conversation with External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee earlier today, the president of Sri Lanka confirmed that armed resistance by the LTTE has come to an end and that LTTE leader Velupillai Prabhakaran is dead,” external affairs ministry spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said here.
“India will work with the people and government of Sri Lanka to provide relief to those affected by the tragic conflict, and to rapidly rehabilitate all those who have been displaced, bringing their lives to normalcy as soon as possible,” the spokesperson said.
“It is our view that as the conventional conflict in Sri Lanka comes to an end, this is the moment when the root causes of conflict in Sri Lanka can be addressed.
“This would include political steps towards the effective devolution of power within the Sri Lankan constitution so that Sri Lankans of all communities, including the Tamils, can feel at home and lead lives of dignity of their own free will,” the spokesperson added.
- India to provide relief to those affected in Sri Lankan conflict - May 18, 2009
- India to send special envoys to Sri Lanka: Mukherjee - May 19, 2009
- India welcomes Colombo's decision to lift emergency, backs probe - Aug 26, 2011
- NSA, Menon to meet Rajapaksa, press for political solution (Lead) - May 20, 2009
- India for probe into rights abuses in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to address 'root causes' - May 23, 2009
- After vote, India says it stands by Sri Lanka - Mar 22, 2012
- India non-committal on Sri Lanka 'war crimes' (Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Probe Sri Lanka killings, CPI-M says - Mar 13, 2012
- Colombo mulling power sharing with Tamils: Peiris - May 17, 2011
- Krishna goes to Sri Lanka minus the war's shadow - Nov 21, 2010
- Examine concerns over rights violations, India to Sri Lanka - Jul 15, 2011
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa discuss Tamil refugees, devolution (Second Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Joint parliamentary panel begins goodwill visit to Lanka - Apr 16, 2012