Time limited for Mideast peace deal : USMay 2nd, 2008 - 2:21 pm ICT by admin
London, May 2 (DPA) US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice warned that Israel and the Palestinians do not have unlimited time to achieve a peace deal and the expansion of Israeli settlements would not mean those houses would remain under Israeli control under a final peace agreement. “I do believe that the window for the two-state solution will not be forever open,” Rice told reporters Thursday on board a flight to London. “I think you could argue that it has gotten narrower and narrower over time.”
The top US diplomat, on her way to talks Friday in London on the stalled Middle East peace process, said Palestinians need to see improvements in their lives to give them hope and confidence to conclude an agreement with Israel.
She also said progress, while slow, was being made in the negotiations although the public could not see such steps being made, given the lack of information on the talks released to the public.
Settlement expansions in the West Bank are “not helpful” and would not necessarily fall within Israel’s jurisdiction in a final deal,
“I do not, and the United States government does not, accept that anything that is done prior to an agreement can, in fact, now present a fait accompli or determine the final outcome,” the secretary of state said.
“The best thing we can possibly do is finally - finally determine what those borders are going to be,” she added.
In London, Rice was also to meet with foreign ministers from Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China on Iran’s nuclear programme before travelling to the Mideast for weekend talks with Israeli and Palestinian negotiators.
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- PM Netanyahu says Israel "quite serious" on peace talks - Nov 12, 2010
- Israel should meet its obligations to revive peace: Abbas - Dec 31, 2011
- NYT analysis believes Israel-Palestine talks a non-starter - Aug 21, 2010
- Court orders halt to construction in Israeli settlement - Jan 24, 2011
- Israel announces building plan, rejects preconditions - Aug 16, 2010
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- UN envoy slams Israel's plan for new housing in East Jerusalem - Aug 12, 2011
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- Palestinian President Abbas UN, EU to draft new peace plan - Jan 01, 2011
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Israel-Palestine talks to resume, say Clinton, EU (Lead) - Aug 20, 2010
- Obama 'backed out of land promise to Palestinians' - Jan 25, 2011
- Israeli FM breaks ranks with Netanyahu over peace talks with Palestinians - Sep 29, 2010