Time for mid-term polls has passed: GilaniJuly 4th, 2011 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 4 (IANS) The time for mid-term polls in Pakistan is over and the opposition should prepare for the next elections, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said.
“The government has got passed its fourth budget and will request the (opposition) to prepare for the next elections as the time for mid-term polls is over,” Gilani told journalists in Multan Sunday.
The prime minister said that in future only coalition governments would be formed and no single party would be in a position to win a majority in parliament.
“Without reconciliation, politics can not succeed in the country. We will continue our politics of reconciliation,” Associated Press of Pakistan quoted Gilani as saying.
Gilani was sworn in prime minister in March 2008.
To a query, Gilani said that the government did not allow use of Pakistan’s airbases to the US for drone attacks.
He added that the previous government had allowed the use of airbases for surveillance purposes only.
Defence Minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar had last week said that Pakistan had told the US to withdraw its troops from the Shamsi airbase in Balochistan while the Ghazi airbase in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa had already been handed over to the Pakistan Air Force.
- Vacate airbase in Balochistan, Pakistan tells US - Jun 30, 2011
- "Democracy is strong" in Pak, 'criminal' to think of military rule possibility: Gilani - Sep 14, 2010
- Gilani vows to continue policy of reconciliation in Pak - Feb 28, 2011
- Pakistani airspace never closed for NATO: Gilani - Feb 27, 2012
- Trinamool ready for polls but wants UPA to complete term: Mamata - Aug 28, 2012
- Pakistan takes control of Shamsi airbase as US leaves - Dec 11, 2011
- Rehman Malik backs ruling PPP to complete five-year term - Nov 03, 2010
- Pak Defence Minister admits US used several airbases for Afghan operation - Jan 15, 2010
- US to meet deadline for vacating airbase: Pakistan - Dec 08, 2011
- Pakistan to US: vacate Shamsi airbase by Dec 11 - Dec 01, 2011
- Gilani, Qureshi among many ministers yet to send educational degrees for verification - Oct 16, 2010
- Pak opposition leader hints at 'in-house change' to topple PPP government - Nov 03, 2010
- US starts vacating Pakistani airbase - Dec 04, 2011
- No mid-term polls, Congress says - May 12, 2012
- Won't let anyone derail democracy: Gilani - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: airbase, balochistan, coalition governments, defence minister, drone, islamabad, journalists, july 4, mukhtar, multan, opposition, pakistan air force, parliament, polls, prime minister, raza, reconciliation, single party, surveillance purposes, yousuf